• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket Alternatives for Business Casual Attire at Work

OldManMachine

Reaction score
I'm located in the West Coast (not too cold) and will be starting work real soon in a conservative business casual environment. Everyone that I've met so far wears dress pants, dress shoes, and dress shirt without the tie.

When fall gets cooler and winter comes along, what would be a good alternative to wearing a suit jacket to stay warm while keeping it business casual? The only thing I can think of would be a wool / cotton sweater over the dress shirt. I know most people may suggest an odd blazer, but I feel like that may be too much for a first year fresh meat associate when no one else wears one unless you're the top dog boss in the building. I'd like to look humble and not so pretentious like an interviewee arriving with cufflinks.

Also, what are your suggestions for fall / winter business casual ensemble besides the usual dress shirt without the tie + dress pants + dress shoes.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweaters and casual (but still good looking) outerwear. Look at BB's casual outerwear section for ideas.

Last edited:

OldManMachine

Reaction score
Besides the ensemble mentioned already, I guess there's really nothing left for business casual?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are sweater vests. (Other types of vests are not advisable.)

saiyar1

Reaction score

I'm located in the West Coast (not too cold) and will be starting work real soon in a conservative business casual environment. Everyone that I've met so far wears dress pants, dress shoes, and dress shirt without the tie.

When fall gets cooler and winter comes along, what would be a good alternative to wearing a suit jacket to stay warm while keeping it business casual? The only thing I can think of would be a wool / cotton sweater over the dress shirt. I know most people may suggest an odd blazer, but I feel like that may be too much for a first year fresh meat associate  when no one else wears one unless you're the top dog boss in the building. I'd like to look humble and not so pretentious like an interviewee arriving with cufflinks.

Also, what are your suggestions for fall / winter business casual ensemble besides the usual dress shirt without the tie + dress pants + dress shoes.

Wait, so if you wear a suit no tie you won't look like the top dog guys, but you'll feel uncomfortable if you wear a blazer/sports coat??? I do't understand….

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pullovers, cardigans, fleeces, sports jackets, blazers, the scope is broad.

BTE cuff links are not pretentious merely not understood in the USA.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweaters and casual (but still good looking) outerwear. Look at BB's casual outerwear section for ideas.
Make sure that it's just for ideas. Once you get an idea, buy from someplace else. Save your money.

OldManMachine

Reaction score
Wait, so if you wear a suit no tie you won't look like the top dog guys, but you'll feel uncomfortable if you wear a blazer/sports coat??? I do't understand….

Sorry, I just realized that the way I worded the title was pretty awkward and confusing. I actually don't wear a suit jacket for business casual attire. My fault for the confusion.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
Corduroy sport coats would be alright as well I think, especially if you get a very casual cut that is unstructured and uses a casual pocket style.

Perhaps a quilted jacket as well, though those are generally for outdoor wear in the fall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads