• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket Alteration?

boneman23

Reaction score
Should I get my suit altered? I feel it may be a little too baggy or wide. My trousers are pretty slim, do you think the jacket should be adjust to be slimmer or do you guys think it's okay the way it is? If so, what do you think I should tell the tailor? Thanks for any input! I have a crease on the left side of the jacket, it just needs to be ironed. pay no attention to that lol

vincerich

Reaction score
The suit as a whole looks a little large. Your pant leg could stand to be shortened a bit because there's noticeable bunching at the lower leg. Also, the rise of your pants needs to be adjusted. There's too much material in the crotch area. For slim-fitting pants, that is particularly noticeable. Now for the jacket.

I'd have to see some pictures of the jacket buttoned up to really critique it, but, from what I can see, the sleeves need to be narrowed and shortened. Your sleeve should not make your arms look unrealistically large, especially in a slim-fitting suit, and your jacket sleeve shouldn't cover your hand. It should stop at about the wrist bone and leave a little of your shirt cuff exposed. The shoulders of the suit are a little too wide (a sign of a suit that's too big), but there's not much that you can do about that. The jacket appears to be too long. I'm guessing that it needs to be taken in a bit as well, but I'd need to see it buttoned up to know for sure.

That's a nice suit. It will be really sharp when it fits well. Truthfully, most people won't notice the problems that I've listed, so I'm sure that you'll get compliments either way.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's slim enough, just looks too long.

boneman23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
The suit as a whole looks a little large. Your pant leg could stand to be shortened a bit because there's noticeable bunching at the lower leg. Also, the rise of your pants needs to be adjusted. There's too much material in the crotch area. For slim-fitting pants, that is particularly noticeable. Now for the jacket.

I'd have to see some pictures of the jacket buttoned up to really critique it, but, from what I can see, the sleeves need to be narrowed and shortened. Your sleeve should not make your arms look unrealistically large, especially in a slim-fitting suit, and your jacket sleeve shouldn't cover your hand. It should stop at about the wrist bone and leave a little of your shirt cuff exposed. The shoulders of the suit are a little too wide (a sign of a suit that's too big), but there's not much that you can do about that. The jacket appears to be too long. I'm guessing that it needs to be taken in a bit as well, but I'd need to see it buttoned up to know for sure.

That's a nice suit. It will be really sharp when it fits well. Truthfully, most people won't notice the problems that I've listed, so I'm sure that you'll get compliments either way.

Thanks for your input...I'm new at this so any help is appreciated! I'll see if I can go to a tailor sometime this week and see what he says. I think taking the sides in a little bit and narrowing the sleeves is a good idea. It makes my upper arm look pretty large and muscular lol.

I have pretty broad shoulders so I don't know what to do about the shoulders...

boneman23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
do you think a tailor can shorten the length of the overall jacket?

jingco

Reaction score
Vincerich just read my mind. All that I was about to point out he said.

I agree:
1) Pants need to be shorten - it's bunching
2) Sleeve need to be shorten as well
3) Sleeve need to be narrowed but I'm not sure if this is possible
4) Shoulders are too wide but I don't think there's anything that can be done
5) You can shorten the jacket, I did it once long time ago, you have to watch out for the pockets because it gets unproportionally close to the hem (for me anyways)

I always get my suits custom made so mines are perfect But again Vincerich is right, not many people will notice. Heck I've met many people who are off the rack suits and I thought it to be custom made.

Originally Posted by vincerich

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boneman23
Should I get my suit altered? I feel it may be a little too baggy or wide. My trousers are pretty slim, do you think the jacket should be adjust to be slimmer or do you guys think it's okay the way it is? If so, what do you think I should tell the tailor?
I think it looks OK. Shorten the sleeves a touch and shorten the trousers. The sleeve in the upper arm seems too narrow for your arm but that's all I can make out from those pictures. A tailor in person should be able to better tell what's needed and what's possible. Better pictures and some pictures from the back would help for us iTailors.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, the toes of your shoes need to be taken in at least an inch.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boneman23
Thanks for your input...I'm new at this so any help is appreciated! I'll see if I can go to a tailor sometime this week and see what he says. I think taking the sides in a little bit and narrowing the sleeves is a good idea. It makes my upper arm look pretty large and muscular lol.

I have pretty broad shoulders so I don't know what to do about the shoulders...

So do I. My shoulders and chest are pretty large compared to my waist (10 inch drop), so it's a balancing act when I buy off of the rack. I run the risk of looking like an upside down triangle if there's too much waist suppression. The key is to get an idea of how your clothes are supposed to fit and then attempt to eliminate as much tailoring as possible when you pick a size.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants are unpleasantly narrow through the calf and ankle. Makes feet look disproportionate.

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Pics with the jacket buttoned would be helpful.

The shoulders don't look too big to me.

I think the sleeves could definitely stand to be slimmer, and it's a bit too long for my tastes, but I get to dress very unconservatively, and I prefer jackets a bit on the short end.

Shortening the sleeves and pants is also a good idea.

element02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69

I also agree with taxgenius about the length. It would help to see the jacket buttoned to be sure about the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads