1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit in the shower?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vanzdog, Apr 10, 2011.

1. vanzdog

vanzdog Well-Known Member

I've heard you could pop your wool suit in the shower and the steam will take out any minor wrinkles.....thoughts?

Not get it wet....but hang it on the towel rake a few feet away

2. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I usually wear my suit when I take a shower.

3. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

I usually wear my suit when I take a shower.
    +1 When I get out I quickly blow dry it to get a snug fit

4. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Bad title.[​IMG] It's an old trick worth doing when you're traveling, but for home use get a Jiffy steamer or one of the other brands. There are a lot of threads on this topic.

5. mrclam

mrclam Senior member

Bad title.[​IMG] It's an old trick worth doing when you're traveling, but for home use get a Jiffy steamer or one of the other brands. There are a lot of threads on this topic.
    Don't remember where the thread was, but I recall a thread that pointed out that using steam on wool suits is not the best idea, and cause your suits to lose their shape prematurely.

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Don't remember where the thread was, but I recall a thread that pointed out that using steam on wool suits is not the best idea, and cause your suits to lose their shape prematurely.

That was a post from jeffreyd, a very respected tailor/member here, but there was much disagreement with him on this particular topic. I steam my suits, not often mind you, but they have suffered no ill effects.

7. vanzdog

vanzdog Well-Known Member

That was a post from jeffreyd, a very respected tailor/member here, but there was much disagreement with him on this particular topic. I steam my suits, not often mind you, but they have suffered no ill effects.

definitley helpful

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Jeffrey's advice was accurate, but the debate is over whether or not his advice is practical for most people. The same debate could be, and has been, had over Alex Kabbaz's shirt care regimen.

One of the biggest challenges I have when trying to follow Jeffrey's advice, for instance, is actually getting all the wrinkles out of my suits. Sometimes I just need to bust out the E-Steam and touch things up. So long as I'm being careful and not just haphazardly blasting all over the suit with the steamer, I'll probably be fine.

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Sometimes I just need to bust out the E-Steam and touch things up. So long as I'm being careful and not just haphazardly blasting all over the suit with the steamer, I'll probably be fine.
    Yes, I spot steam where needed.

10. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

What does Jeffrey recommend for suit care? From the cryptic way people are talking about it I would imagine goats blood, chanting and a virgin are involved.

11. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

Jeffrey's advice was accurate, but the debate is over whether or not his advice is practical for most people. The same debate could be, and has been, had over Alex Kabbaz's shirt care regimen.

One of the biggest challenges I have when trying to follow Jeffrey's advice, for instance, is actually getting all the wrinkles out of my suits. Sometimes I just need to bust out the E-Steam and touch things up. So long as I'm being careful and not just haphazardly blasting all over the suit with the steamer, I'll probably be fine.

This. Jeffery's thread scared me a bit as well, until I realized I have been steaming my suits for a decade now w/o incident.

That said, he does have a point, overuse of steam can be detrimental. I tried ironing w a cloth as he recommends, but I just dont have the skill, time, or patience to do so. So Im back to just the Jiffy steamer, albeit now trying to limit the steam to just the wrinkled areas.

12. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I thought his main point was that steaming can undo the iron shaping that high end bespoke cutters do. His analogy was to a woman's curls on a humid day.

13. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I thought his main point was that steaming undoes the iron shaping that high end bespoke cutters do. His analogy was to a woman's curls on a humid day.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

John Cutler, one of the best bespoke tailors in Australia (if not the best) and considered by some one of the best in the world, says it's okay to place your suit in the bathroom and use the steam of the shower to smooth out the wrinkles, particularly when travelling. I'm happy to take his word for it. http://www.cutlerbespoke.com.au/trav...poke-suits.php

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I arrive after a cross country flight I frequently unpack, hang my suit and pants in the bathroom, shut the door and take a lice long shower before going out to eat. I feel great and the steam gets rid of all the wrinkles.

If clothing was ruined by steam, then it would be destroyed during a humid summer or after brisk walks in winter when you perspire. Natural fabrics are highly resistant to reasonable amounts of moisture.

16. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I thought his main point was that steaming undoes the iron shaping that high end bespoke cutters do. His analogy was to a woman's curls on a humid day.

I understood his point, but is it logical? What about a 100 deg F day with 99% humidity, and you wear your suit all day. Is it slowly getting undone? I doubt it

17. Lord Asquith

Lord Asquith Well-Known Member

I've heard you could pop your wool suit in the shower and the steam will take out any minor wrinkles.....thoughts?

Not get it wet....but hang it on the towel rake a few feet away

Actually if it's a wool suit you can just hang it and the wrinkles should come out.

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Yes, most will, but sometimes a few do not, even if the suit is wool.

19. either/or

either/or Senior member

jefferyd's post about touching up a suit. ...and now I'm off to read Cutler's thing. thx for the link. edit: oi that was fast. B)

20. stubloom

stubloom Senior member

I'm with jefferyd on this one. I see the results of poor steaming almost on a daily basis. Mostly on suit jackets, sport coats and trousers that have been "professionally cleaned and pressed". A rule of thumb for steaming at home: keep the head of the steamer as far away from the fabric as possible; limit the amount of steam used as much as possible; never apply steam directly to the collar or lapel; and, to the extent practical, keep steam away from seams. For further information on this subject.... Blog post: The myth of pressing a garment with steam http://www.ravefabricare.com/true-qu...ith-steam.aspx