• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit in NYC under $1800

Trobinson986

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m 6’1” 180lbs normally measure a size 38. A 40 usually looks a little big and boxy. The problem I’m having is that in many suits off the rack in a size 38, the pants tend to be too tight in the seat and usually don’t have a lot of extra fabric to let them out. I’ve looked at Hugo boss mostly. Can anyone recommend an off the rack suit for under $1800ish? Is Zenga worth the high price tag? What other options are there?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ring Jacket?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously have never seen you in person but at 6'1" 180 lb I'm a bit surprised that 38 is the right size for you. Is a 40 too big in the shoulders? If not I'd consider rethinking whether a 40 with minor alterations would work better for you. If you are just bigger in the seat/thighs than is typical, then maybe what you really need is just a larger trouser size (i.e. suit separates).

At lower price points, SuitSupply offers suit separates. You could also check out Paul Stuart, especially as they now have a less expensive "customLAB" MTM option that I think got a good review here recently.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suitsupply mtm
The armoury

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plenty of options in NYC in that range:

Suit Supply - sub $1K
Brooks Brothers - can be $750 when on sale, up to $1.5K for top of the line
Paul Stuart - about $1.5K
J. Press - $800 to $1.3K
Ring Jacket @ the Armoury - $1.7K
Drakes (more on the casual side) - $1.8K
Canali (at Barneys or their boutique) - has some options in the $1.8K realm
Sartoria Formosa @ No Man Walks Alone - a bit above your price range at $2.2K
Ralph Lauren Purple Label - above your price range at about $2.5K

while a good chunk of these don't do 'separates' they are made to a higher quality than Hugo Boss and will probably have more fabric to let out in the seat, and they may include the price of tailoring as well

Trobinson986

Reaction score
Obviously have never seen you in person but at 6'1" 180 lb I'm a bit surprised that 38 is the right size for you. Is a 40 too big in the shoulders? If not I'd consider rethinking whether a 40 with minor alterations would work better for you. If you are just bigger in the seat/thighs than is typical, then maybe what you really need is just a larger trouser size (i.e. suit separates).

At lower price points, SuitSupply offers suit separates. You could also check out Paul Stuart, especially as they now have a less expensive "customLAB" MTM option that I think got a good review here recently.

It depends on who sizes me. For example, I have a Hugo boss suit I bought from Nordstrom. An older gentleman sized me and sold me a 40. The coat was altered, considerably. The sides (torso) was brought in. The sleeves were too long and were shortened quite a bit. Also, the trousers were brought in quite a bit in the waist and some on the seat.

Conversely, I recently bought a blazer at Saint Laurent. A younger, more stylish and modern sales representative fit me. He sold me a 38 with no alterations necessary other than shortening the sleeves. I tried a 40 but it was honestly too big in the shoulders.

I have two suits from brooks brothers (both size 40 in their regent fit) that feel extremely full and perhaps have a little bit of overhang in the shoulders.

Bottom line, a 40 may not be too big in some eyes but is too big in others eyes. I prefer a slimmer look. So, I’m sticking with 38. However, Im quite lanky (at 6’1” 180) and have been trying to workout a lot to build some muscle. I have a little bit of fat I’ll likely lose but I’m not sure how this will affect my suit size

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on who sizes me. For example, I have a Hugo boss suit I bought from Nordstrom. An older gentleman sized me and sold me a 40. The coat was altered, considerably. The sides (torso) was brought in. The sleeves were too long and were shortened quite a bit. Also, the trousers were brought in quite a bit in the waist and some on the seat.

Conversely, I recently bought a blazer at Saint Laurent. A younger, more stylish and modern sales representative fit me. He sold me a 38 with no alterations necessary other than shortening the sleeves. I tried a 40 but it was honestly too big in the shoulders.

I have two suits from brooks brothers (both size 40 in their regent fit) that feel extremely full and perhaps have a little bit of overhang in the shoulders.

Bottom line, a 40 may not be too big in some eyes but is too big in others eyes. I prefer a slimmer look. So, I’m sticking with 38. However, Im quite lanky (at 6’1” 180) and have been trying to workout a lot to build some muscle. I have a little bit of fat I’ll likely lose but I’m not sure how this will affect my suit size

If I had your budget and frame, I would look at the Armoury when I stopped in there last spring to look around the sales associates were great and very knowledgeable. unfortunately, I'm a bit too big for their RTW sizes and would need to go MTM which kicks it out of my price range

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my mind, Corneliani, Cantarelli, Castagnia, Canali are amongst the best bangs for the buck in RTW.

The fit of Formosa has always been off on me, but it might work for you since it's designed to be a bit bigger.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some years ago I heard about LS Mens Clothing.
They do MTM around your price point. I have no
personal experience with them

Trobinson986

Reaction score
Some years ago I heard about LS Mens Clothing.
They do MTM around your price point. I have no
personal experience with them

I bought two suits from LS Men’s clothing and I must say I was INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED with the product and the experience. I highly recommend NOT visiting LS Men’s Clothing.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought two suits from LS Men’s clothing and I must say I was INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED with the product and the experience. I highly recommend NOT visiting LS Men’s Clothing.
Good to know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads