• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit help for wedding

Gem21

Reaction score
What color shoes/tie would go with this. It's not a heather gray, more like a taupe. Girls dresses are purple.

Last edited:

Rolex Luthor

Reaction score
Hello Gem21. I presume you're the bride, and as much as I enjoy seeing women on the forum, you may have come to the wrong place with your queries, especially if, as you say, the goods have been ordered and can't be changed. Most people here would tell you that the groomsmen don't need to wear identical suits, that you shouldn't buy suits at Macy's, that you shouldn't worry about everything matching everything else, etc.

If you stick with those suits, let the groomsmen choose their own ties and shoes. They aren't supposed to match the dresses anyway.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1) What time of day is the wedding?
2) When is it?
3) You'll get more help if you use the little image button in between the movie strip and the paper clip to imbed the pictures so people don't have to donwload them in order to view.
4) Please don't put your groomsmen in identical outfits

Gem21

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to return the ties and start from scratch and maybe use a purple flower instead of trying to get a purple tie.
Wedding is 11am, reception from 1:30-5pm
It's at the end of March

I can't change the suits, they've already been bought and given out. We had to drive 2 hours to exchange 2 of them for different sizes. I can't do that again. The budget is tight and to find different suits in everyones price range would not be possible with the holidays approaching.
I don't mind the idea of them all wearing the same, what I hate is the matchy matchy vests with the dresses.
2) When is it?
3) You'll get more help if you use the little image button in between the movie strip and the paper clip to imbed the pictures so people don't have to donwload them in order to view.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2) When is it?

+1

5) Lets see how it fits, so that we can help in that regard as well. :D

Gem21

Reaction score
For some reason it's not letting me reply what I last posted.

The wedding is 11am and reception is from 1:30-5pm
It's at the end of March

I wanted to do green but a family member with an art degree said it would be too much because the girls are wearing 2 different purples. Thoughts?

Forest green is dark, what do you think about a sage?

I like your ideas and so I am going to look for different ties.

Brown shoes and belt will be ok next to the purple dresses?

I don't want it to look too "informal" as the dresses are not informal whatsoever. I'm having trouble balancing the daytime look with formal dress.

No handkerchiefs? What about for the groom ? We were going to rent an off white vest and tie that has white, ivory, and off white stripes. No good? It seems to lock me out when I try to post more pics.

Last edited:

Gem21

Reaction score
No handkerchiefs in the pocket? What about for the groom? We were going to rent this with a han kie in the pocket. No good?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As long as the brown shoes are fairly dark and well-polished, I don't think it will look too informal (note: in your original post you might have said something about a vest, I can't remember - if so, vests are NOT to be worn with belts). In choosing taupe for the suits, you've already gone somewhat informal, and the brown won't reduce the formality of it. If anything, the black would look too stark next to this suit and also make the purples look too strong.

Personally I have a particular fondness for forest green, especially next to gray or taupe. Also if you have a really soft sage and this very soft colored suit, the guys might just disappear next to the girls in these purples.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not put the suit on and visit a shop which sells ties etc.

Then pick something that goes well - an informal wedding so that patterns are fine.

Forget renting vests such as you describe - not needed at all.

Gem21

Reaction score
Ok wait... so the groom should just wear a white shirt and tie, no vest? I never knew about the belt thing ??? We looked at in ivory tie next to this suit and it looked HORRIBLE.

We did bring the suit into about 3 stores yesterday, that's why I'm posting on here.

Should they all wear white shirts or off white? I've seen green ties look great next to a bone or off white colored shirt. Not sure what you think.

My dress is diamond white or an eggshell color, not ivory/not white.

The venue is on the water but the floors are marble and there is nothing rustic about the place. This is why I am struggling with the formal/informal thing. The place is really not "informal" inside. Lots of natural light though.

As I said, I don't want it to become too much more informal so the women are wearing long gowns and I've asked any immediate family members in pictures to also wear long dresses. I did not want black suits/tuxes and I hate light heather gray (which is great with purple but the venue is a lot of brass and gold and I wanted to stick with warmer tones as much as possible) I should have just stuck with charcoal but we got these for half the price.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taupe suits with notched lapels already make the wedding pretty informal

Last edited:

Gem21

Reaction score
The point is that, I don't want it to become MORE informal than it already has become.
I'm asking questions to help it not become backyard looking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads