• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for Work

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, but In 20 minutes of surfing I'm not satisfied, so here we go. If you've got links to helpful threads, go for it, but though I'm a noobie here, I'm not to forums in general. Keep your snide remarks to yourself, or "use the search function," they're not going to make me feel dumb, so don't waste your breath.

I'm looking to get a suit for work. I'll be working in the financial industry, most likely in the northwest. I'll either be working for a bank or the government. The suit will be a graduation present, so I'm not on a tight budget, but don't want to go past $1000. I'm 6'2", 180ish lbs. 34" inseam, 42R, broad shoulders, semi-athletic build.

I bought a black Calvin Klein suit from Macy's a few years back for a funeral, and have used the pants and jacket separately quite often. The pants are now in a rough/unwearable state, and I've noticed the jacket doesn't look like a deep black. When comparing the jacket to the black slacks I wear for work from BR, the suit looks very worn, so I'd prefer a suit of higher quality. I'm wanting something modern and youthful, but not too drastic. A slimmer fit is preferable.

There's chains like Macy's, JC Penny, Men's Warehouse, Banana Republic and such, but from what I gathered from here, it doesn't seem like they have much to offer. What/where do you guys recommend? From what I've gathered, black is not a good option. I'm not much for brown, so I think I'll go for black pinstripe if that's appropriate, or a flat or striped charcoal/grey suit. Navy I'm kind of mixed on whether I like it. I could venture to Portland, OR if you guys think it's worth the trip.

I'll also need to get some shoes. I have a black pair, but they're getting too worn for interviews, and I'm sure black with gray is not a good option. What color combinations do you guys recommend?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can head for Portland, they have several Nordstorm and a Brooks Brothers...they should take good care of you.

You probably want a solid navy blue or charcoal grey to get started. Avoid black suits for business and DEFINITELY avoid a black pinstripe suit, unless you are going to work for the Mafia.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Hi. Please don't be an aggronoob.
I asked a question while pleading ignorance of the subject matter, and I'm an aggronoob for saying I didn't want to take crap from people spewing things at a noob that they would never tell someone in real life? Forum content changes depending on the site, but the arrogance and disdain for less experienced members is always the same. Some members are great, but others are going to be dicks just cause they can be.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
You can head for Portland, they have several Nordstorm and a Brooks Brothers...they should take good care of you.

You probably want a solid navy blue or charcoal grey to get started. Avoid black suits for business and DEFINITELY avoid a black pinstripe suit, unless you are going to work for the Mafia.

Got it. What brands do you personally recommend? A friend of mine got a gray Armani suit for $800 at Nordstrom and seems to like it. Though I assume their more mass produced suits are good, when I got to one thread where everyone threw in their .02 about ratings of suits (exceptional, very good, good, acceptable etc), Armani didn't seem to fall anywhere on the list.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a tailor and have him take your exact measurements. Stick around here for awhile to get a feel for things and buy something on the buyers and sellers forum.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Why wouldn't black shoes go with a gray suit? What would you wear instead?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokencycle
Why wouldn't black shoes go with a gray suit? What would you wear instead?

Depends on the darkness of gray, and blackness of black shoes. Severe contrasts rarely work.

Reaction score
The shoes are deep black, and fairly shiny for leather, so I feel like they'd stand out. You're probably right that I'll still want black, but I guess I'd just want some that are more toned down. I've worn them with some striped gray pants at work and they passed, but they are always just a bit awkward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads