• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for university researcher

franny1

Reaction score
Hi
I am a 37 years, single man, 175cm, working at a university here in Spain. there is no dress code here, but i like to put on a suit, not necessarily with a matching trouser, that is not very formal, but not very sporty as well, rather something between.

The suit should feel comfortable and easy to wear. The price should be also reasonable.

I do appreciate your suggestions, and as I am a new arrival here in Spain, some tips on where to go shopping.
Thanks

hyakku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by franny1
Hi
I am a 37 years, single man, 175cm, working at a university here in Spain. there is no dress code here, but i like to put on a suit, not necessarily with a matching trouser, that is not very formal, but not very sporty as well, rather something between.

The suit should feel comfortable and easy to wear. The price should be also reasonable.

I do appreciate your suggestions, and as I am a new arrival here in Spain, some tips on where to go shopping.
Thanks

I'm by no means an expert member or anything yet, but you aren't really putting on a suit if the pants don't match, are you? I'm assuming you are looking for a business casual look, but as you are older than me I'll let the members around your age advise you as they likely have more similar tastes than I do when it comes to what you want.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like to put on a suit, not necessarily with a matching trouser, that is not very formal, but not very sporty as well, rather something between.

I'm sure people here will help. One thing you should start becoming aware on is that suits are defined to be jacket and pants made with the same material. What you allude to, and probably want, are sportcoats and (non-matching) trousers. I bet that is what you want, as that is more or less the academic standard.

If you need your eye trained up, search in the WAYRN thread for posts by Manton. He is a good place to start.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit for university researcher
Doesn't it depend on the research?

0.jpg

Oleg

Reaction score
I never trust university staff who wear suits unless they have a specific meeting that requires one. Uusally (a) from central administration out to make life difficult for the academic staff or (b) academics on the make.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to wear one. I am an academic, and I never wear one when doing research. I only pop on a nice sport coat when lecturing students, at conferences and seminars I wear a suit, and departmental meetings it depends.

You will be well dressed with a nice buttondown shirt or Polo and a pair of chinos. Besides, in Spain, with temperatures running up to 100F, a suit sounds like a good way to sweat out a fever.

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
No need to wear one. I am an academic, and I never wear one when doing research. I only pop on a nice sport coat when lecturing students, at conferences and seminars I wear a suit, and departmental meetings it depends.

You will be well dressed with a nice buttondown shirt or Polo and a pair of chinos. Besides, in Spain, with temperatures running up to 100F, a suit sounds like a good way to sweat out a fever.

Until Christmas, I was the deputy dean of my faculty and spent a large proportion of time in meetings. Very few of them indeed saw my wear suits. The chancers from the chancellery would mostly be in them, mind you.

Frihed89

Reaction score
If Juan-Carlos wears a suit, then by all means. Otherwise, emulate your colleagues.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks

Oh dear.

A suit other than morning dress (Stroller to our American friends) has matching trousers. Why not:

A) Look about you to see what others are wearing
B) Go to some shops and see what you like and meets your idea of the Objectives and comes at a price that you are prepared to pay.

No one here can judge those things for you from 100 words which even contain a fundamental error.

Dreamlol

Reaction score
No-one realized he said suit when he wanted to say blazer/sports coat?

Or as james_tymothy put it:

What you allude to, and probably want, are sportcoats and (non-matching) trousers.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where in Spain exactly are you? There are huge differences in climat between different regions. But a nice sport coat can never be wrong. For example, a cashco one, or something along that line.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oleg
Until Christmas, I was the deputy dean of my faculty and spent a large proportion of time in meetings. Very few of them indeed saw my wear suits. The chancers from the chancellery would mostly be in them, mind you.

Yes indeed. I have thought of another suit occasion - attending graduation!

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oleg
I never trust university staff who wear suits unless they have a specific meeting that requires one. Uusally (a) from central administration out to make life difficult for the academic staff or (b) academics on the make.
I would say that it depends on the school. For instance, I'm pursuing a part-time degree, and my prof this past Saturday was dressed impeccably in sage trousers, white OBCD shirt, a woolen tie (with a nice, small FIH), and a Huntsman tweed sport coat (I asked him about it) with dark brown chelsea boots (it has been snowing here in Boston). I've not seen any of the profs there wear anything other than suits or sport coats. It just seems to be the unwritten dress code. And quite honestly, I rather like it.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dress code does depend on the school / department. I work in engineering / physics field, so suits are worn according to accasion. Generally smart casual is the trend, although some faculty members by choice wear suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads