1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BuffaloWang, Dec 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Seriously...... Black bow tie with a black suit and white shirt? (Hello its a suit not a tux). People arguing about garment bags and hangers, tying ties around your head ......:paranoia:

2. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

Not sure where all the off topic stuff came from. Certainly didnt force a lead into that.

The suit has been settled. For my prom looks like white shirt, black vest, and black bow tie.

How should the vest fit?

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I can see the point of trolling political discussion groups, or religious ones, etc. I don't agree with it but at least I can see why someone would do it. But trolling a community about clothing? Why? I only ask because I suspect you are right.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  4. Godot

Godot Senior member

DITTO

5. chasd2

chasd2 Well-Known Member

Dude! Wear whatever you want. Don't tell her anything except "OK, whatever" if she really has a problem (she won't, GUARANTEED) she won't go with you when you pick her up. Trust me, you are to young to give a shit! Unless this is the first and only time you'll ever get laid (in which case you might want to consider plastic surgery or playing for the other team) Stick to your guns! Lesson learned in life.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Oh, trolling happens all the time here. For a lot of forumites, there are orthodoxies as rigorously cherished and upheld as those of any political or religious zealots, and there are mischievous spirits who enjoy baiting the orthodox. Since BuffaloWang incessantly flies in the face of forum orthodoxy--the black shirt, the teal colored bowtie, the vest in lieu of a jacket, etc.--I hope I can be forgiven for entertaining some suspicions of trolling here.

7. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

I refuse to give you advice on this outfit because you've already left the bounds of good taste far, far in the dust.

Semi-formal is black tie. That does not mean simply wearing a black tie, it means wearing a tuxedo jacket (not merely a black jacket; it has lapels with satin facings and fabric-covered buttons, no vents, jetted pockets, one button, please-and-thank-you) with matching pants (they should have a satin stripe along the outseam; they are not simply black pants), a cummerbund or vest (BLACK), and a black bow tie.

I would like to take this opportunity to urge you to reconsider your ideas of coolness, gentleness, and style.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  8. BuffaloWang

Sorry I won't be able to hear your advice.

I'm not the one that sets dress codes. Pretty sure the majority of high schoolers don't give a shit about dressing well. Which means coming out of here, even if not up to SF standards, will be better than the majority of the guys there.

If you still want to give advice, I'm all ears.

9. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

What happened to the suit outfit?

10. BuffaloWang

Suit outfit was worn for her formal. Ill post up a photo when she gets them.

[suit, black shirt, teal bow tie, AE PA's]

For my prom: white shirt, black vest, black bow tie, AE PA's with red boutonnière.

Will prob bring a suit jacket to wear if I can. If everyone is in only a vest, then will keep it in the car.

11. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

If you HAVE to wear the vest why not construct a three piece and wear it under your jacket; so when the bouncers at the gates ask you 'hey buddy wears your vest' you can do a little pow and unbotton your jacket and be pure sex....sorry I'm drunk :)

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

This is a bit harsh actually. Even though i agree with you that some of the statements here are absurd by SF standards (Black suit with white shirt and black bowtie) you have to understand that this guy is going to a high school event and the fact that he is on here looking for advise should be enough to give him at least some props. Btw it can be satin or silk lapels, and the jacket does not necessarily have to match the pants, it can be a different patterns and materials (I.E velvet) and in some cases (before labor day if I'm not mistaken) can be white/cream, and even though its not traditional some people have double vents on their jackets, even forum members who know the rules by heart do this for comforts sake.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Since you are not really taking anyone's advice, I'm not sure that you are going to look better than everyone else. I'm not even sure why you are here if you don't even plan in taking our advice.

I still think you should wear the suit. The vest thing, as misguided as it is, seems like a suggestion for setting the formality level as opposed to an actual dress code. If you show up in the suit, do you really think you will get turned away because you don't have a vest?

1 person likes this.
  14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Thank you for your helpful contribution to this thread.

15. Godot

Godot Senior member

[quote name="BackInTheJox"
    For f*ck's sake , half of the people here would've declined a life vest on the titanic if the orange clashed with your evening wear.[/quote]

Good Sir, I believe I speak for most members that being informed by their valet that the Titanic had orange life vests, would have cancelled passage and waited for a ship more satirically appropriate. I myself don't have a single pair of spats that would go with an orange vest, nor am I likely to do so in the future.

More on topic aren't most proms held in May or June? What kind of school holds their prom in December or January? The only example I can find of this Winter prom is in Norway, where it's called a Nyttårsballet, and people wear whatever they feel like wearing because it's not considered to be a big deal.

16. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

It was as helpful, if not more, than some others.

You are quite welcome. I won't even charge you.

17. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

He wants to dress well. We're telling him how he can do that, and we're telling him that the way he wants to is wrong.

18. BackInTheJox

No, he's giving you the constraints within which he is working and you (the collective you) are refusing to even consider this.

Yes, in a vacuum many of the things he is suggesting would not occur. That would be ideal. But we don't live in an ideal world, and he has made it clear over and over what his options are.

19. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

Then he's asking the wrong people. A gun forum usually wouldn't teach someone the right way to shoot a gun "gangsta style," even if they really, really wanted to. A martial arts forum usually wouldn't start talking about how to use tai chi in an mma or street fight, even if the poster really, really wanted to do so. And most people on this forum aren't going to give him help doing something that won't look good, even if he really, really wants to.

20. BackInTheJox

He doesn't seem to really, really, really want to dress poorly. He wants to have a good prom and possibly get laid. He is presenting what the feasible options are (aside from completely alienating his date-to-be) and requesting help in maximizing his ability to still look as not bad as possible given these options.

But I really don't expect most people to understand that, let alone function as such. Most are way too far removed from the real world.