1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BuffaloWang, Dec 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Always happens at the best parties!

2. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

"The term "Semi-formal" denotes black-tie for men in evenings" -- from the Wiki.

3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Dude, he's an 18- year old kid asking for advice from a web forum. That suit will do him fine for another 6 years considering how infrequently he'll need it. And considering how terrible most American men dress, this suit's fit will make him look far above the average.

I didn't mean an expensive garment bag. You can get a cloth bag for storing suits in the closet for 5-10 bucks, and a suitable (forgive the pun) hanger for ten as well. And, as already mentioned, they'll never go bad or wear out. He can use them for future, more costly purchases.

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

According to Wikipedia, yes. But according to the common usage, semi-formal doesn't mean Black Tie. Unfortunately, the world at large is not up to Styleforum standards regarding terminology.

5. Caustic Man

Whatever you say.

6. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

My, you are caustic, aren't you? ;)

By the way, I also agree with everything you said as well. Well, not the part about me being a troll, but the other stuff. Let's hope he does indeed wear out the suit by the time he graduates college. :D

7. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

So for prom will be wearinga vest. Would the best option be a white shirt, black vest, and black bow tie? My date will be wearing a black dress. So we can both go red or white corsage/boutonnière?

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Give her a corsage. You can skip the boutonnière, but if you really want one, go for it. Red or white is classic. You'll look great.

Is you prom date the same girl whose semi-formal you're attending?

9. BuffaloWang

Will be getting a corsage and boutonnière. Just not sure what vest to wear and what flowers to go with.

Yesh, it is the same girl. Her formal was 1-2 days ago.

10. plei89

plei89 Senior member

You couldn't find a black hidden placket shirt? Would look better.

What I don't understand is that you're willing to spend $ on Common Projects & Filson & Other SW&D items, but not something that's going to be a wardrobe staple. :eh:

11. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

^ He is a high schooler, he'll grow out of whatever he buys now anyway. He can get a nice suit in his last year of college, when he actually needs it.

12. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Senior member

Gotta say, the black suit + white shirt + black bow tie combo looks exceptionally great. Black shirt and cyan bow tie is [​IMG] But at least you'll have a good laugh in a couple of years if you review the old photos. Happens to all of us!

As for semi-formal, I'd throw in a nice tie and skip the bow tie. Except for the black one it always looks a bit nerdy or clown-esque. Open collar would be fine for sure, but having a tie with you doesn't hurt. If you're one of the few fellas sans tie you'll probably feel uncomfortable.

13. BuffaloWang

I'm willing to spend $100-200 on shoes because if I were to get CP's, I would be able to wear them everyday.
    At my age, a $80 H&M isn't really going to be a wardrobe staple.

I get where you're coming from, but at the time I was pretty rushed too; so H&M was one of the best options.

Unfortunately probably can't rock the black/white suit combo for my prom as it has been stated to be semi-formal with vests for guys.
    Will be going to H&M to pick up a suit. I'll either wear a bow tie (will be black) or wear a skinny black tie.

Photos of the vest/tie will be up as soon as I get a vest and bow tie.
    Looking to buy a black bow tie right now, if nothing comes up, then I may just ordered one of thetiebar before it's too late.

14. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Senior member

STOP SAYING "H&M". It hurts me.

15. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Bowtie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skinny Black Tie

16. bbri06

bbri06 Member

I 100% guarantee you that you will NOT be kicked out of prom for not having a vest.

17. Caustic Man

^^^ The absurdity of this thread has reached new heights.

18. BuffaloWang

Never said I would be kicked out; but it would probably be better to look more uniform with people.

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

If this is a troll thread, as I half suspect, it is certainly one of the most clever I've seen in quite a while!

20. OTM

OTM Senior member

Nice alterations, dude! It really shows how much even those simple operations can do for a look and further enhances my belief that fit is more important than anything else.

As for your choice of "unusual" colors; Ozwald Boateng.