• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly recommend Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also when I'm wearing a white shirt for my prom what bow tie color is appropriate?
Will be using a white linen pocket square. So either a black or grey tie?

I would not go bow tie, I would wear a black long tie.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Your date is an 18 year old high school student, who gives a **** what she thinks is best. Don't wear a black shirt.

:crackup:

905bro

Reaction score
Don't do teal, don't do black shirt either for the sake of making yourself looking like a fool. Tell her ass you'll get something and you promise it won't make you 2 look at of place ie - she wears teal, you wear red tie.

Pick the white shirt, get either a black tie or bow. and the only teal you should have is the flower on your lapel on the day of. And for god sakes unbutton the bottom button.

Black skinny belt, pointed shoes would be great because you're a skinny male. Prom is a time where you should buy a timeless piece and not something trendy (the stupid white belt white shoes trend in 08), stay classy and collect your poon by the end of the night. I'm telling you, you wont regret it.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're definitely going to regret this, when you look back.

Last edited:

Godot

Reaction score
It's a high school prom. People dress for these things in much the same way they do when going to a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The black shirt outfit will probably rank as among the more acceptable. Go have fun. Don't drink and drive. Wear or at least bring a condom. That's it, I have no more sage advice. Oh wait I do, This is YOUR night, enjoy the HELL out of it.:D

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice.
Should I exchange the jacket for a size up?

Godot

Reaction score
I don't think changing up is going to be much use. It's not going to hang like a 10K bespoke suit no matter what you do. Sleeves & cuff are enough.
If your still stuck for shoes, call Allen Edmonds and ask about getting factory 2nds. They are a lot cheaper and after a couple of wearings, they are going to look the same as firsts after a few wearings. In any event you'll have a good pair of adult shoes to begin your post prom life. If she wants something teal, give her the pocket square, and go black or grey for a long tie.

BTW, do you know how to dance? If you don't go on a crash course and learn. Most of the guys there will be stumbling around and knowing how to dance is going to make your night so much easier.

Also get an address book and take names & numbers of those you'll want to see ( or may be of use to you) in the next few years. You might even place a minimum order with Vista Print for some calling cards. Your never too young to network. If in the next year or so you can help someone get a job or into a college, you've got a friend for life. Hopefully some of them will give you a leg up.

As for the much discussed white shirt, you'll have fifty years to wear the damned things. No rush,

Have Fun:D

BuffaloWang

Reaction score

I don't think changing up is going to be much use. It's not going to hang like a 10K bespoke suit no matter what you do. Sleeves & cuff are enough.
If your still stuck for shoes, call Allen Edmonds and ask about getting factory 2nds. They are a lot cheaper and after a couple of wearings, they are going to look the same as firsts after a few wearings. In any event you'll have a good pair of adult shoes to begin your post prom life. If she wants something teal, give her the pocket square, and go black or grey for a long tie.
BTW, do you know how to dance? If you don't go on a crash course and learn. Most of the guys there will be stumbling around and knowing how to dance is going to make your night so much easier.
Also get an address book and take names & numbers of those you'll want to see ( or may be of use to you) in the next few years. You might even place a minimum order with Vista Print for some calling cards. Your never too young to network. If in the next year or so you can help someone get a job or into a college, you've got a friend for life. Hopefully some of them will give you a leg up.
As for the much discussed white shirt, you'll have fifty years to wear the damned things. No rush,
Have Fun:D

Thanks for this. After this suit is too small, will probably resell it anyways/donate or give it away.

Trying to get some Park Avenues for $75 off eBay now. Will prob be cheaper than AE seconds.

And yes I do know how to dance!

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also when I'm wearing a white shirt for my prom what bow tie color is appropriate?
Will be using a white linen pocket square. So either a black or grey tie?
Are you, perchance, wearing a tuxedo? If so, a black bow tie would be appropriate.

Also, have you considered that perhaps your girlfriend should no more be choosing your shirt than you should be choosing her dress?

BuffaloWang

Reaction score

Are you, perchance, wearing a tuxedo? If so, a black bow tie would be appropriate.

Also, have you considered that perhaps your girlfriend should no more be choosing your shirt than you should be choosing her dress?

No, not a tuxedo, just a suit.

I suppose so, but it's her dance so I'll let her have some say. I have already told her that for my prom, will be wearing a white shirt with black tie.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, not a tuxedo, just a suit.
I suppose so, but it's her dance so I'll let her have some say. I have already told her that for my prom, will be wearing a white shirt with black tie.
Can't go wrong with white linen. I assume I am, as usual, in the minority, but I'm not a fan of black ties except as bows for semi-formal events. I would therefore go with a grey tie. Not one of those things that looks like it was cast in solid silver, just... not black. But do as you will.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who cared a **** ton about what they would look like at prom (joined SF my sophomore year, went with a rental junior year, then really tried to nail it senior year)

1. It really does not matter. I had so much pride in my style but now I would gladly chalk it up if I wore an ugly notch lapel Mens wearhouse tuxedo with the impossibly bright and ugly vest and ties.

2. It would be one thing if you were using prom as an excuse to buy some clothes that you will wear in the future. I did end up getting a nice black bow tie from Brooks Brothers, and I imagine that will be the only black bowtie i will ever need. Otherwise... Nothing you are spending money on now will become a part of your wardrobe in the years to come. I did get a pair of Florsheim AE Park Avenue look-a-likes for $100, and I haven't even put that much wear on those shoes.

So what I think... You should wear what you want to first and foremost. I wore a 1 button peak lapel tuxedo with a cummerbund (couldn't find a good tuxedo waistcoat no matter where I looked without paying an arm and leg, and the MTM did a ****** ass job with the vest). Got a cheap MTM wing collar shirt. Wore some Happy Socks that my girlfriend at the time picked up, the black oxfords, had a pair of Wayfarers on during the day, and I was the best dressed guy out there.

But if my date asked me to wear a hot pink bow tie or a blue shirt or whatever, I would have happily obliged, while still trying to fit it into my style. Just have fun, get it in, and enjoy one of the most decently fun experiences of your life.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score

As someone who cared a **** ton about what they would look like at prom (joined SF my sophomore year, went with a rental junior year, then really tried to nail it senior year)
1. It really does not matter. I had so much pride in my style but now I would gladly chalk it up if I wore an ugly notch lapel Mens wearhouse tuxedo with the impossibly bright and ugly vest and ties.
2. It would be one thing if you were using prom as an excuse to buy some clothes that you will wear in the future. I did end up getting a nice black bow tie from Brooks Brothers, and I imagine that will be the only black bowtie i will ever need. Otherwise... Nothing you are spending money on now will become a part of your wardrobe in the years to come. I did get a pair of Florsheim AE Park Avenue look-a-likes for $100, and I haven't even put that much wear on those shoes.
So what I think... You should wear what you want to first and foremost. I wore a 1 button peak lapel tuxedo with a cummerbund (couldn't find a good tuxedo waistcoat no matter where I looked without paying an arm and leg, and the MTM did a ****** ass job with the vest). Got a cheap MTM wing collar shirt. Wore some Happy Socks that my girlfriend at the time picked up, the black oxfords, had a pair of Wayfarers on during the day, and I was the best dressed guy out there.
But if my date asked me to wear a hot pink bow tie or a blue shirt or whatever, I would have happily obliged, while still trying to fit it into my style. Just have fun, get it in, and enjoy one of the most decently fun experiences of your life.

Thanks for the thoughts lemmy.
I will take in everyone's input and try to incorporate them, but otherwise I'll go with what I have.

So far I haven't spent a lot on my outfit at all. ~$80 for the full suit, and I got a pair of like new Park Avenue's off eBay for cheap, so I'm grateful for that. Just got a bow tie and pocket square off TheTieBar for $30. So overall cost me less than $200 (including alternations).

Will just have to visit one of the three tailors and have the sleeve and pants shortened. Will post after photos.
Probably heading here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/vans-alteration-and-tailoring-san-jose#query:tailor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads