Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BuffaloWang, Dec 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

Wear the black shirt. This is highschool and you won't look out of place. Hell even all the students in my business school dress like highschool prom

2. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

You wanted tips to have your outfit look better and honestly getting rid of the black shirt is the best tip. It is such a cliche look and every Dbag will be wearing it with a bright tie the colorof their date's dress...

Even if she wants you in all black when she see's you looking like James Bond she'll understand. Just be sure to have everything fitted, posting pics here would help.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

3. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

I'm not sure how or why black/dark gray shirts came in to vogue, but I seem them everywhere. I work on a college campus and when the students dress up for interviews or presentations you can bet they'll be wearing a very dark colored shirt (along with black or dark gray trousers). I think it's because the salespeople at Macy's wear the same get-up, so maybe the customers think this is the new style.

4. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

Alright, I'll show her the white and see what goes on then.

Pics will be up in a few days. Trying to find some cheap PA's on eBay now. No local store nearby to try them on.

5. BuffaloWang

6. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Hm, let me see, what does that bow tie remind me of...oh yeah I remember now.
    [​IMG]

Wear a black tie. I'm not much for this "hitman" look myself but I'm guessing the girl you are trying to make love sweet love to will love it. Better yet a burgundy or grey one. And a white linnen pocket square. Don't match your date, that is a serious breach in style.

[​IMG]

7. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

The cheapest i have ever seen park avenues not beat to hell on eBay is around $100 so just be prepared to pay that much. Personally i have been looking for half a year for something that goes under that price with no luck.

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Definitely white linen for the square. As others have said, try the white shirt on with her and see if she still actually likes the black better.

I never understood the matching tie or square to the date's dress, but then again I didn't go to prom.

9. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

If you are trying to impress your date, this is the correct advice.

Only do the pocket square if you have the white shirt, in my opinion. A white square on a completely black ensemble is going to put too much focus on it. White linen is good, but if you want to add some subtle flair:

http://www.kentwang.com/white-with-leaf.html

It is rapidly becoming my favorite.

If you want to match something to your date, get a lapel flower in that color. Subtle is usually better. For extra points, get a real flower the day of.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

10. suited

suited Senior member

Your date is an 18 year old high school student, who gives a shit what she thinks is best. Don't wear a black shirt.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

11. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

Gonna have to agree with what a lot of other people have said.

Try and pick up a white shirt and show your date...push it a bit, but hell if she is adamant about it, then go with the black shirt. It's HER prom you're going to...just make sure to give her the same level of discipline when she comes to yours (if she does). And you'd better get some pussy out of it :slayer:

For the shoes...park avenue sizing (or fifth ave or strand... any 5 last) is generally size down 1/2 and size up 1 width. So if you're normally a 10D do 9.5E. If you can't find anything in time who cares...don't push it. Zip out to the nearest store and pick out a cheap pair of ~50 cap toe oxfords. They will still look better than 99% of bicycle toe crap your buddies wear. Don't buy too well worn shoes...just cuz its AE doesnt mean its gonna be a great deal.

Hope I helped a bit. Just have fun with it man. When is the prom? Seems a bit early...arent these things usually in like May? If so...good that you're taking care of this early!

12. BuffaloWang

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    So as of now will be pushing for the white shirt. If not, then I'll have to go black.

Going with that teal bowtie because it's what she chose.

If I'm going all black with the teal bowtie, and a white boutonniere then NO pocket square?
    Have my eye on a few paris of AE's now, if not then I guess I'll just head to Macy's and cop a cheap pair.

This is actually for her winter formal, but will be going to my prom in Jan (which is also early). For my prom, will be incorporating most things said here. White pocketsquare, black/grey bow tie, white shirt, AE's.

Photos will be up by tonight hopefully, or tomorrow.

13. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Oh god. Let me guess, her dress is teal?

14. BuffaloWang

Haha, correct. I haven't seen it but it most likely is as she chose it.

15. BuffaloWang