1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BuffaloWang, Dec 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hm, let me see, what does that bow tie remind me of...oh yeah I remember now.
    [​IMG]

Wear a black tie. I'm not much for this "hitman" look myself but I'm guessing the girl you are trying to make love sweet love to will love it. Better yet a burgundy or grey one. And a white linnen pocket square. Don't match your date, that is a serious breach in style.

[​IMG]

2. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

The cheapest i have ever seen park avenues not beat to hell on eBay is around $100 so just be prepared to pay that much. Personally i have been looking for half a year for something that goes under that price with no luck.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Definitely white linen for the square. As others have said, try the white shirt on with her and see if she still actually likes the black better.

I never understood the matching tie or square to the date's dress, but then again I didn't go to prom.

4. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

If you are trying to impress your date, this is the correct advice.

Only do the pocket square if you have the white shirt, in my opinion. A white square on a completely black ensemble is going to put too much focus on it. White linen is good, but if you want to add some subtle flair:

http://www.kentwang.com/white-with-leaf.html

It is rapidly becoming my favorite.

If you want to match something to your date, get a lapel flower in that color. Subtle is usually better. For extra points, get a real flower the day of.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  5. suited

suited Senior member

Your date is an 18 year old high school student, who gives a shit what she thinks is best. Don't wear a black shirt.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  6. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

Gonna have to agree with what a lot of other people have said.

Try and pick up a white shirt and show your date...push it a bit, but hell if she is adamant about it, then go with the black shirt. It's HER prom you're going to...just make sure to give her the same level of discipline when she comes to yours (if she does). And you'd better get some pussy out of it :slayer:

For the shoes...park avenue sizing (or fifth ave or strand... any 5 last) is generally size down 1/2 and size up 1 width. So if you're normally a 10D do 9.5E. If you can't find anything in time who cares...don't push it. Zip out to the nearest store and pick out a cheap pair of ~50 cap toe oxfords. They will still look better than 99% of bicycle toe crap your buddies wear. Don't buy too well worn shoes...just cuz its AE doesnt mean its gonna be a great deal.

Hope I helped a bit. Just have fun with it man. When is the prom? Seems a bit early...arent these things usually in like May? If so...good that you're taking care of this early!

7. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    So as of now will be pushing for the white shirt. If not, then I'll have to go black.

Going with that teal bowtie because it's what she chose.

If I'm going all black with the teal bowtie, and a white boutonniere then NO pocket square?
    Have my eye on a few paris of AE's now, if not then I guess I'll just head to Macy's and cop a cheap pair.

This is actually for her winter formal, but will be going to my prom in Jan (which is also early). For my prom, will be incorporating most things said here. White pocketsquare, black/grey bow tie, white shirt, AE's.

Photos will be up by tonight hopefully, or tomorrow.

8. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Oh god. Let me guess, her dress is teal?

1 person likes this.
  9. BuffaloWang

Haha, correct. I haven't seen it but it most likely is as she chose it.

10. BuffaloWang

11. m0bbie

m0bbie Senior member

I am new and still learning as well. As far as I can see, other than the sleeves length, you need to hem those pants. Also, first rule is that you NEVER button the bottom button for a two-button jacket.

As for the cost, I believe it should be around $30 to shorten at both sleeves.

I used to think that Black suit+Black shirt = SUPER COOL, but now I think that the only suit that work with black shirt is silver or grey, period.

I think AE Strand is a great shoes. If possible, get the AE Strand. Not only that it looks cool, but it will last you a long time. However, if you will not going to get them this time, just go for black shoes. Do not wear square toe shoes.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

If you are going with everything she chose for you then why come here at all? You are right, it is just a high school prom and no one will look at you sideways for going to prom in a black shirt and a teal bow tie, but there is no way whatsoever to look better than everyone else in the colors she has chosen for you. That's like wanting your car to look better than everyone else's but insisting on driving a Ford Pinto.

My suggestion? If you are going to simply give her what she wants (nothing wrong with that, mind you) then just accept you are going to look like an Italian waiter and save your energy for dressing nice when you start college.

13. m0bbie

m0bbie Senior member

Italian waiter wears white/white. It would be more like a grumpy bodyguard.

14. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Nah, they both wear black/black. But I can verify that it is definitely a body guard look too because I know guys who actually work as body guards who dress that way. lol

15. BuffaloWang

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most likely getting these for $70.

Well now that there's not much to do as to what to BUY. I came here wanting to know and learn for MY prom. For her dance, ill have to live with some of my dates choices.

There's just what to do for alternations now.

16. suits123

suits123 Active Member

The biggest things for high school. The pants are way to long. The sleeves are way to long. Cant say for sure in inches. But the pants should be worn with your dress shoes and just gently lay on the shoe. The sleeves should be around the area of your wrist bone and the shirt should show about a 1/4" of cuff.

Don't ever button the bottom button.

The stitching still in the vents in the back may be affecting it but, the jacket looks a little tight, I would go up a it may help with the right shoulder and then get it taken in at the sides for tapering. As the suit is now a tailor couldn't do much about the shoulder dent. You could also the back taken out but you may be able to tell you had it taken out.

I would try to find a tailor with a good reputation that only does tailoring. If you have the money go to a very good tailor, if you think it's worth it (I did in high school, but I was alone in that category).

17. m0bbie

m0bbie Senior member

Well, I think going to a very good tailor will cost more, and I don't think it worth it for an H&M suit. He shouldn't pay $50 or more on his alteration.

18. BuffaloWang

Trying to not spend that much on alternations as the suit cost me <$80.

So the ones I listed, just go to those? Seem to have decent Yelp reviews.

- Sleeves shorten so that 1/4" of shirt shows
    - Pants hemmed so that they rest on shoes

19. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

I strongly recommend buying a white shirt.

20. suits123

suits123 Active Member

Yes. Those are the biggest thing. Obviously the sleeve is based on you having correct sleeve length. There are many thought but most agree the shirt should not extend past the base of your hand. From there you can get the proper sleeve length. See here http://pinterest.com/pin/180636635024544519/
    And undo the bottom button :)

The tailors you listed should be fine hemming the pants and sleeves its the most common suit alterations done.
    I personally would get the suit taken out or get a size larger but it may be the way you are standing etc.

I also would recommend a white or dark grey shirt. Or where a grey tie with the black suit/shirt.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012