• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for "portly" men under $1000

SJTrance

Reaction score
I was looking for a suit built for a chubby guy. I'm generally a 42R (with Armani Collz.) or 44R (with Zegna). I will include a picture to get the idea...keep the flaming to a minimum for God's sake...lol.

DennisandSanjay.jpg

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you in the country? Or where can you get to?

Some stores, like Barneys, stock a very wide range of sizes.

SJTrance

Reaction score
I'm in Manhattan. I will try Barneys. I wonder if their sale is still going on.

Mookie

Reaction score
Since when is it hard to find a suit in 44R?

SJTrance

Reaction score
It's not hard. I was wondering what type of suit would do well with my build. I think that withe my pudge in the middle, the slim fit suits are going to be too much for me. Should I be looking for Athletic fit suits? Are there any specific types you guys can recommend?

SJTrance

Reaction score
Jordan B!!!!!! That is perfect! I shall surely get this. I had no idea that custom suits were so cheap to get. I was under the impression that they would cost much more than that. Awesome!

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't think you are portly. I was expecting someone 300 pounds. I would also think Oxxford and I think they are (or already had) their sale.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
You don't seem all that portly going by suit standards. You can always alter the waist on slimmer fitting suits to fit your body. Getting portly suits will probably be too big for you, and you will still have to alter them.

Though by slim, I wouldn't go Dior slim with painted on pants for your body type.

Mookie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJTrance
It's not hard. I was wondering what type of suit would do well with my build. I think that withe my pudge in the middle, the slim fit suits are going to be too much for me. Should I be looking for Athletic fit suits? Are there any specific types you guys can recommend?

Your problem is that you're basing your sizing off of your Armani and Zegna suits. Neither of them are the most fully cut suits ever, to put it mildly, which is why you think you need a "portly" suit.

You don't. Check out suits that are a bit more fully cut in the design. Good labels for this are Brooks Brothers (Madison 1818; depending on just how round you're going the Regent fit should be fine as well); Hickey Freedman; Burberry (made by HF in the USA); and (only on deep discount) Boss Black Label (maybe).

Of course, there's also the custom route; not being in NY, I can't give you any hints there, although others do like Mr. Ned's.

SJTrance

Reaction score
Thanks guys...another question: What exactly is an athletic cut and how does that differ from slim fit?

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think an "Athletic Cut" suit just has an extra 2" drop between the coat an pants. Standard drop is 7 inches (depending on the suit maker - the brooks brothers cord suit I got during the Doc Holliday-induced frenzy only had a 5" drop and I think Hickey Freeman uses a 6" drop) , and I think athletic is 9".

Like I need to say this, but I'm sure there's someone with more experience that will correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
You probably don't need a portly.

I would recommend a traditional, full-cut suit with a little shaping. Try Brooks, J. Press, and Paul Stuart.

You might try a MTM at either Mr. Ned or LS Mens Clothes.

Good luck.

nsoltz

Reaction score
I think I can relate somewhat to what you are seeking. I wear a US 41 by jacket size but have a 36-37" waist and a slightly larger tush in proportion. I find that I can wear a European 52 in Zegna or even Isaia but letting out pants and easing out jacket just a trifle. e54 pants actually fit better and that's what Zegna did in a MTM suit. But there is generally enough room in a 52. In some boxy BB and HF cuts, I can actually wear a 40 and just let out the pants. So, I don't think you need portly at all-- just the right cut. And even within different lines, there are different cuts. Tried on one of the new Zegna Milano models Sunday and the pants (flat front) were just too tight and I would need to go MTM in that. The old boxy Roma cut works perfectly.

SJTrance

Reaction score
My chest size is 42 and my waist size is around 36 or 38. That makes for a pretty boxy figure. But there's good advise in this thread. Thanks, guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads