• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for my wedding...

Shorty Long

Reaction score
Hello Gents...

I'm looking to wear a 3-piece suit for my wedding this fall. I'd like to get something VERY classic...slim cut, flat-front pants, button-fly trousers, vest in the same color as the suit, etc...i've seen a couple on ebay from the 30s that I've liked, but I'd get killed if I wore a moth-hole laden suit to my wedding.

This will be my first-ever suit, and I don't have a bundle to spend. I was hoping I could waltz into a Brooks Bros. and get one off the rack, but they don't have them in their stores. Any suggestions? I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere, so I'd like some direction as to where I can look. Could I get a custom-made suit for around $500?

Thanks for the insight/suggestions..

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Depending on how you define "custom," $500 could be enough, but it likely would be low quality and it doesn't sound like a traveling tailor will be visiting your area.

If you are lucky, maybe you have a Jos. A. Bank nearby. There you might be able to build a three-piece suit from suit separates.

Otherwise, your best option is the Internet + a good local tailor to modify anything you buy.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Otherwise, your best option is the Internet + a good local tailor to modify anything you buy.
If you go this route, do you have anything (a sportcoat would work) that fits in the way you want? If so, measure it and use that as a basis for your ebay shopping. Otherwise, you may want to see if you can go to a department store and try on some various labels to get your sizing.

On ebay, $500 should get you used Barbera/Isaia/Purple Label/Belvest/Oxxford (though Oxxford probably isn't the sort of cut you're looking for) and perhaps even Brioni/Kiton.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting married!

Could you possibly make a shopping trip to a "somewhere" to look at your options? Since this is your first suit, you should probably try on some different models and see what looks good. Brooks Brothers, for example, won't be a really slim fit.

Ebay is tricky, even when you know your measurements. Do you know your measurements? Lots of us shop with Sierra Trading Post. They have a pretty good selection of high quality suits and a truly fantastic return policy. I'm not sure whether you'll find a three piece suit, but I feel confident that you could find something really classy looking.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jil Sander, Prada, Brioni, Kiton, etc has the type of suit you are looking for, but $500 sounds like a difficult find. Maybe you need to start looking at Filene's Basement and outlet malls. K&G has many types of suit for under $200.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jos. A. Bank is a good choice for your price point, they have a "build your own suit" function on their website where you can build a nice three-piece; converesly, if you go to one of their stores they can order you a vest. Brooks Bros. should be able to order a vest for many of their suits, did you ask the salesman?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads