• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for my dad

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All,

My dad is going through interviews for new jobs and he really doesn't have a nice suit. He doesn't care for fashion and doesn't like spending money on clothes. However, his current one suit is pretty bad...it is a black peak lapel suit that is too big. I feel that he should really upgrade with at least one new suit in navy or charcoal that fits well for his interviews.

If this was me, I would get something on B&S for $700 and get it heavily tailored. However, I know my dad won't want to spend more than a few bucks at the tailor, so I need something in the <$350 range that fits nicely (not too loose, but not trendy slim since he is older). He is about 6'0" 165.

Any recs at this price range? I know he will go to Men's Wearhouse if I don't go with him, but going to something like BB doesn't make sense since all the suits will be at prices he will find obscene.

The other caveat is that advice like "wait for XYZ to go on sale on B&S - deals can be had" is not good in this instance. I want to get him something within a week.

Thanks!

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't see the word durable up there but trendy & cheap --> Zara? H&M?

But I doubt he will go there by himself. And unless he has ideal proportions, he'll still have to nip & tuck.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Well I didn't see the word durable up there but trendy & cheap --> Zara? H&M?

But I doubt he will go there by himself. And unless he has ideal proportions, he'll still have to nip & tuck.

Like I said earlier, I think trendy would not be a good pick at all for an older guy. Definitely no narrow lapels here.

runner-guy

Reaction score
I really like the suits through Wizard of Ahhs on Ebay. You can get them for $280 shipped with the SF discount and the quality is way better than Men's Wearhouse. I have a M. Valentino from there and I like it.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can take him to Macy and perhaps you can get him a Lauren Ralph Lauren suit there.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TM Lewin has some decent options for that price point, certainly better than the mall brands.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filene's has some good deals. I'm not sure what they are stocking in NYC right now.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Filene's has some good deals. I'm not sure what they are stocking in NYC right now.
+1 on the discount stores. You can definitely find an RL or HF in that price range.

arc

Reaction score
Problem with Filene's is that they're usually all patterned, not staple suits. HF stuff is usually $600ish anyway. Unless the NYC Filene's are just way better than here.

I know it makes people
ffffuuuu.gif
but Jos A Bank may be a good option for the less-svelte older man? Especially given that it doesn't have to last ages.

Wizard of Aaahs may be worth a shot too, although I've never tried them personally. The price is right, and you can get staple navy/charcoal.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
Problem with Filene's is that they're usually all patterned, not staple suits. HF stuff is usually $600ish anyway. Unless the NYC Filene's are just way better than here.

I know it makes people
ffffuuuu.gif
but Jos A Bank may be a good option for the less-svelte older man? Especially given that it doesn't have to last ages.

Wizard of Aaahs may be worth a shot too, although I've never tried them personally. The price is right, and you can get staple navy/charcoal.

I also cringe at it, but I might just take him to Jos A Bank and then get it tailored.

Definitely does not have to be durable. He does not wear suits to work. This would be like a 5x a year type thing, and only when he has to. I'm sure Jos. A Bank will be able to provide a staple that isn't cringe-worthy on cursory inspection.

mic

Reaction score
Because I know you are somewhat knowledgeable/capable with this stuff I would either:

A. Drag him into one store, find a suit that fits reasonably, and get it's Harris-type measurements, then use those to find something else that works in your price range in B&S or otherwise.

or

B. Measure him yourself and do as above.

Either way, it sounds like you are much more motivated than he is, so if you want it to happen I suspect you will have to do a lot of legwork yourself. It might be wise for you to lower your standards quite a lot re. fit if you don't want to drive yourself nuts.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been impressed with what I've seen of recent Hart, Schaffner &amp; Marx and Abboud offerings.

emptym

Reaction score
In addition to the options listed above, how about Sears, JC Penny's or Land's End?
Very nice of you to help your dad out, MS.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just buy him a suit? Surely,you should be able to afford it. Go to Brooks and get him a Golden Fleece suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads