Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit for my dad

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MetroStyles, Oct 20, 2010.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

All,

My dad is going through interviews for new jobs and he really doesn't have a nice suit. He doesn't care for fashion and doesn't like spending money on clothes. However, his current one suit is pretty bad...it is a black peak lapel suit that is too big. I feel that he should really upgrade with at least one new suit in navy or charcoal that fits well for his interviews.

If this was me, I would get something on B&S for $700 and get it heavily tailored. However, I know my dad won't want to spend more than a few bucks at the tailor, so I need something in the <$350 range that fits nicely (not too loose, but not trendy slim since he is older). He is about 6'0" 165.

Any recs at this price range? I know he will go to Men's Wearhouse if I don't go with him, but going to something like BB doesn't make sense since all the suits will be at prices he will find obscene.

The other caveat is that advice like "wait for XYZ to go on sale on B&S - deals can be had" is not good in this instance. I want to get him something within a week.

Thanks!

2. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Well I didn't see the word durable up there but trendy & cheap --> Zara? H&M?

But I doubt he will go there by himself. And unless he has ideal proportions, he'll still have to nip & tuck.

3. MetroStyles

Well I didn't see the word durable up there but trendy & cheap --> Zara? H&M?

But I doubt he will go there by himself. And unless he has ideal proportions, he'll still have to nip & tuck.

Like I said earlier, I think trendy would not be a good pick at all for an older guy. Definitely no narrow lapels here.

4. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

I really like the suits through Wizard of Ahhs on Ebay. You can get them for $280 shipped with the SF discount and the quality is way better than Men's Wearhouse. I have a M. Valentino from there and I like it.

5. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

You can take him to Macy and perhaps you can get him a Lauren Ralph Lauren suit there.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

TM Lewin has some decent options for that price point, certainly better than the mall brands.

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Filene's has some good deals. I'm not sure what they are stocking in NYC right now.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Filene's has some good deals. I'm not sure what they are stocking in NYC right now.
    +1 on the discount stores. You can definitely find an RL or HF in that price range.

9. arc

arc Senior member

Problem with Filene's is that they're usually all patterned, not staple suits. HF stuff is usually $600ish anyway. Unless the NYC Filene's are just way better than here.

I know it makes people [​IMG] but Jos A Bank may be a good option for the less-svelte older man? Especially given that it doesn't have to last ages.

Wizard of Aaahs may be worth a shot too, although I've never tried them personally. The price is right, and you can get staple navy/charcoal.

10. MetroStyles

Problem with Filene's is that they're usually all patterned, not staple suits. HF stuff is usually $600ish anyway. Unless the NYC Filene's are just way better than here.

I know it makes people [​IMG] but Jos A Bank may be a good option for the less-svelte older man? Especially given that it doesn't have to last ages.

Wizard of Aaahs may be worth a shot too, although I've never tried them personally. The price is right, and you can get staple navy/charcoal.

I also cringe at it, but I might just take him to Jos A Bank and then get it tailored.

Definitely does not have to be durable. He does not wear suits to work. This would be like a 5x a year type thing, and only when he has to. I'm sure Jos. A Bank will be able to provide a staple that isn't cringe-worthy on cursory inspection.

11. mic

mic Senior member

Because I know you are somewhat knowledgeable/capable with this stuff I would either:

A. Drag him into one store, find a suit that fits reasonably, and get it's Harris-type measurements, then use those to find something else that works in your price range in B&S or otherwise.

or

B. Measure him yourself and do as above.

Either way, it sounds like you are much more motivated than he is, so if you want it to happen I suspect you will have to do a lot of legwork yourself. It might be wise for you to lower your standards quite a lot re. fit if you don't want to drive yourself nuts.

12. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

I've been impressed with what I've seen of recent Hart, Schaffner &amp; Marx and Abboud offerings.

13. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

In addition to the options listed above, how about Sears, JC Penny's or Land's End?
    Very nice of you to help your dad out, MS.

14. forex

forex Senior member

Why not just buy him a suit? Surely,you should be able to afford it. Go to Brooks and get him a Golden Fleece suit.

15. Butter

Butter Senior member

Hickey Freeman.

You can find them discounted at Nordstrom Rack.