• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for groomsman

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, we're now a month before the wedding and, lo and behold, my very unreliable friend who is one of my groomsman just now lets me know that he in fact does not have a black suit like he previously had stated. The guy is also notoriously bad with his credit card, so he really can't spend a whole lot of money. I found an Arnold Brant suit for him at Off-Fifth that is marked down to about $200 -- pretty darn good I'd say. His response -- "I want a suit with flat front pants." Well, how do you like that? Good luck finding that in your price range at this point in time. So, if he in fact refuses to buy a suit with pleated pants (even a single pleat is too much for him apparently) that severely limits the immediatley available options, obviously (especially considering where the guy lives&#33
wink.gif
. I found this Su Misura on Ebay and thought it's a possibility. Does anyone know how this line runs? My friend claims to be a 43R but can wear a 42R a little snug. I was thinking this Zegna might run a dab big. Su Misura is top of the line Zegna, correct? Zegna suit

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I found this Su Misura on Ebay and thought it's a possibility. Does anyone know how this line runs? My friend claims to be a 43R but can wear a 42R a little snug. I was thinking this Zegna might run a dab big. Su Misura is top of the line Zegna, correct? Zegna suit
Su Misura is MTM Zegna. Whoever ordered this one probably never picked it up. It's equivalent in quality to regular-line Zegna, so unless the suit is cashmere, its retail price is not $2720. If he had a better shot of the chest pocket tag, I could probably give you a pretty good idea of retail price for this; but I'd guess that it's regular old D-range serge, which translates to around $1700 at today's prices. A 52R Zegna is probably closer to a US 41R than a US 43R.

TomW

Reaction score
I wear a 43R and the occassional 42 (Makers like Hickey Freeman seem to be more generous in their sizing) and that Zegna would be a bit more than snug on me - I find the 54's measure out to a very nice 43, not to a 44 as often stated. I don't know where your friend lives, but I just picked up a Calvin Klein Collection (made by Vestamenta) 2 button, SB, fully canvased construction with flat fronted pants in a very fine super 120's black wool on clearance for $265 inc. tax. at a larger Macy's. Also, Nordstrom is having their anniversary sale, saw many quality suits in the $200-350 range - purchased a Hart Schaffner Marx SB, dual vented, navy with a very subtle windowpane for the same money as the CK above. Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th, and NM Last Call stores almost always have basic black - never underestimate your local Marshall's for a less well constructed, but very well priced suits.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 43R and the occassional 42 (Makers like Hickey Freeman seem to be more generous in their sizing) and that Zegna would be a bit more than snug on me - I find the 54's measure out to a very nice 43, not to a 44 as often stated. I don't know where your friend lives, but I just picked up a Calvin Klein Collection (made by Vestamenta) 2 button, SB, fully canvased construction with flat fronted pants in a very fine super 120's black wool on clearance for $265 inc. tax. at a larger Macy's. Also, Nordstrom is having their anniversary sale, saw many quality suits in the $200-350 range - purchased a Hart Schaffner Marx SB, dual vented, navy with a very subtle windowpane for the same money as the CK above. Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th, and NM Last Call stores almost always have basic black - never underestimate your local Marshall's for a less well constructed, but very well priced suits.
Tom, what Macy's? Maybe I'll give them a call. We don't have Marshall's where my friend lives. Off-Fifth is the best we've got. After that, department stores are the only thing we have and HSM is the top of the line in those stores.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Su Misura" is "to measure". It's Zegna's made-to-measure service, so double-check the measurements to be sure that the previous owner didn't have a paunch, or a sloped shoulder, or one leg shorter than the other.

EDIT: Beaten so very many times. So I shall edit to add:

"I want a suit with flat front pants." Well, how do you like that? Good luck finding that in your price range at this point in time. So, if he in fact refuses to buy a suit with pleated pants (even a single pleat is too much for him apparently)

I bet this is a "Queer Eye" thing. Woe betide you if you wear pleats on that show...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JN3: Methinks that the square toed best man needs to give a kicking to the seat of the flat fronted groomsman man...and vice versa... Sounds like you are having FUN. Poor guy...
sad.gif
JJF

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FIH, Someone understands. And then get this, my brother who is a co-best man (I tried to avoid hurt feelings) doesn't have a shirt to wear. He does, however, have a Corneliani suit just like Mr. Square Toe (I picked up the suits for them both). But no shirt. So, I'm over at Off Fifth today (I'm back home for a couple weeks -- the place where there are NO clothing stores) and I see an Ike Behar medium spread collar dress shirt in my brother's size. $39.99. Pretty good deal, you know. Ike makes a nice shirt and it will be cut well for my brother. I come home, he says to me, "Are you crazy? You don't wear a shirt with a pocket on it with a suit." Okay, bro. So, maybe you can opt out of a pocket, but a pocketed shirt is per se inappropriate with a suit? And how many times have you worn a suit in your life? That would be zero. The whole thing is driving me nuts. Honeymoon, music for the reception, and making sure the groomsmen are dressed -- those were my three wedding tasks. It is incredible that the last one is the hardest. I should start doing the old bride line "It's my day."
smile.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Su Misura" is "to measure". It's Zegna's made-to-measure service, so double-check the measurements to be sure that the previous owner didn't have a paunch, or a sloped shoulder, or one leg shorter than the other. EDIT: Beaten so very many times. So I shall edit to add:
Quote:
"I want a suit with flat front pants." Â Well, how do you like that? Â Good luck finding that in your price range at this point in time. Â So, if he in fact refuses to buy a suit with pleated pants (even a single pleat is too much for him apparently)
I bet this is a "Queer Eye" thing. Woe betide you if you wear pleats on that show...
My brother tried to pull the "I won't wear pleated pants" thing as well. It must be a Queer Eye thing. Or GQ. I'm telling you, my hometown is a bit lean on fashion, so the information is gotten from GQ and Queer Eye. This is a place, like I said earlier, where Hugo Boss regular line is perceived as the most expensive stuff money can buy. My brother would seriously rather wear a Banana Republic flat front pants suit than the Corneliani 120s. And he'd even be willing to pay MORE.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck, Johnny

I am glad we wore tuxedos for my wedding.

As long as your groomsmen look reasonably well turned-out from the waist up (for purposes of head and shoulders shots), I wouldn't fret about it. Nobody is going to notice flat front vs pleats or square toe vs normal shoes. And I guarantee you will have a guest who dresses so outlandishly, gets so drunk, or dances so poorly, that everyone will remember THAT and nobody will remember what anybody in the wedding party was wearing.

SwaG

Reaction score
i guess it would be a good time to mention the old saying again, friends don't let friends....
tounge.gif

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Johnny

After being best man at many weddings, groomsman several more and groom occasionally there is one thing I have figured out.

This is 25% your day and 75% the bride's.
Not for the parents
Not for the friends
Not for anyone else.

Tell the best men (obviously a misnomer, you are clearly the Best Man in this group of dung borers) that you really need to focus on the wedding and could they please figure out amongst themselves. If any of them is worth a damn they will.

Trust me - your day, bride's day. DO NOT ruin it for yourselves worrying about anyone else.

Oh... and congratulations.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Touche on that, Carlo. So far as I am concerned, the groomsmen can wear whatever they want so long as it is ANY single breasted suit in a black wool, with black shoes, and a white shirt (I am supplying the ties). The catch is, the word ANY cannot be taken for granted with this bunch. The one who doesn't have the suit asked me the other day if he could just wear his tan cotton suit.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Su Misura Zegna's are almost always marked with a size that is way larger than what they measure to - my guess is that they start with the pattern for a larger suit and cut it down. So it will probably be too small. However the pants do have a 37" waist which generally indicates a size 42-43...

What you need are some reliable measurements, and the ones provided aren't much use.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with the lack of measurements. I emailed the guy -- I mean, the chances that I'd point my friend in this direction is VERY small. I'm still trying to get him to just bite the bullet and get a suit at Off Fifth here in town. I managed to put an Arnold Brant on hold for him; Loro Piana fabric and with the 30% coupon it would be about $200. I don't know why he's not just jumping at that deal. I've even offered to split the cost with him. Of course, by burning the coupon on his suit, I'd have to pass on the Bruno Magli split toes I saw there, but oh well.

mano

Reaction score
Johnny
It may be that as long as you're running around dressing these guys, they don't have to do it for themselves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads