1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit for groomsman

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Jul 22, 2004.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I like flat front pants for the most part, and think that they are more appropriate for the slim, 60's style suits that are in fashion these days. If the trend goes towards roomier suits (hopefully not to the extremes of the 80s), I think that pleated pants will become more popular. BTW, a number of designers, including Tom Ford (for both the YSL and Gucci lines) and Miuccia Prada, have tried to bring back the pleated, and also higher waisted pants, in recent years, but it never really caught on. The world isn't ready yet, I guess. I just hope we never have to see pleated jeans again (a shiver here.)

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i've never been married, but if and when i do, i'll tell my groomsmen to wear suits and leave it at that.

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

Messr. Matador,

I think I might agree with you. I told my groomsmen just to wear a "dark suit with white shirt" and that I'd supply the tie. They all wore either dark grey or dark blue with black shoes. My wife did something similar -- I'm not sure exactly what she said to bridesmaids, but they all wore stylish "little black dresses." There's at least an argument to be made that it's a bit presumptuous, expensive, etc. to ask someone to go out and buy a particular suit that they don't already have. Bridesmaids dresses are a little different in that (i) some brides pay for them, and (ii) there's no work for the bridesmaid -- they just have to get fitted. Dress is already picked out. Maybe this is why some grooms find it's easier to just say... black tie for everyone.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I dont' mind flat front pants -- my nonsuit pants are all flat front -- and sometimes a pair of flat front look great with a suit. But the point is that the guy is lollygagging around when he really just needs A suit at this point. The problem is I doubt he can find a flat front pants suit within his price range (I probably could -- but then again I know where to look thanks to this board).

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Tell him to go to Banana Republic or Kenneth Cole. Seriously, he is not going to know the difference, and he'll get his flat front pants. And tell him that you are going to make it so he won't be able to wear any pants comfortably if he doesn't get his crap in gear.

6. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Banana Republic suits -- he will know the difference because their black suit is currently $550 after tax down here. [​IMG]

7. Tom

Tom Senior member

At my brother's wedding, the groomsmen (including myself) wore matching morning suits and foam green cravats. My brother wore the same plus a top hat. All were rentals. We were... beautiful (sniff). [​IMG]