• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for $400 to $800?

edawsey

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I recenetly got a "real job" where I have to wear a suit every day. I currently have a few suits,(all of which fit ok, but not great). Im looking at MTM suits and want to get the best quality for my money. Im somewhat familiar with some of the companies like indochino, astor and black, and tom james(my roommate works there) but i dont know how to properly assess the quality of each. Still being on a budget, I want to spend anywhere between $400 and $800 on a navy suit that will hold up because i will be wearing it relatively often until I can build my wardrobe. Please let me know what you all think and i am open to any and all suggestions! Thank you!

Last edited:

edawsey

Reaction score
Thanks! That definitely helped. Given past experience, would it be worth spending $600 or $700 on a Tom james suit as opposed to $400 or $500 on an indochino or TaT suit?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Tom James. I wouldn't really recommend Indochino, having tried it, unless you're sure you have the patience to keep sending it back until it's right, and the knowledge to tell them what needs changing. The reviews I've read of Astor and Black on this site are not very positive.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Suit Supply.

At this price point probably best you get a good RTW than a crappy MTM and tailor it. As far as I'm aware SS do a "skeleton MTM" in their stores where they'll measure you and sort of 'connect up' a suit to your fittings within the day - can't guarantee it I just seem to remember hearing about it sometime.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't go for a Mtm at that price point. I recommend OTR from B&S or eBay. Depending on your size, you could possibly get 2 nwt suits for $800 (half or fully canvassed).

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't go for a Mtm at that price point. I recommend OTR from B&S or eBay. Depending on your size, you could possibly get 2 nwt suits for $800 (half or fully canvassed).

This. Ebay is your best friend once you learn the ropes. Go to a department store and try on suits to find the size that fits you best, however, the measurements are more important than the size (38R, 40L, etc) as different brands and models have different dimensions. You need to find out the following measurements that work best for you: Shoulder, Chest, Sleeve, and overall length. Shoulder is the most important in my opinion as it is extremely difficult to alter. You can easily get a new, fully canvassed suit with nice fabric for $400-500, likely less. Buy a suit and get it tailored and wear it for awhile and decide what you like and don't like about it. Once you are confident, go to someone like Thick as Thieves or Kent Wang and have the make you a MTM suit...or if OTR fits you decently well, stick with Ebay and the like, you would be amazed what a good tailor can do if you have a workable suit.

Stone34

Reaction score
Perfect Post. I'm in the same boat and curious to hear what you found out?? So what did you decide.... What suit / brand are you going with???

I want a Full Canvas Suit without breaking the bank and wanted to get a consensus from the Style Forum too.

Astor & Black sounds a bit hit and miss but the ones that are good... really sound great. And they deal with alot of athletes and I have a more athletic build so that is why they caught my attention.

And from everything I read on here, Thick As Thieves sounds really really good.

So if you had to choose which would it be... Astor & Black or Thick As Thieves?

I read Thick as Thieves is about $500 dollars for a suit. Any one know how much an Astor & Black suit would be???

edawsey

Reaction score
i think im going to go with thick as thieves or tom james. from what ive been able to tell, astor and black is similar to tom james, but my friend works at tom james so itd be more convenient to go with them. tom james suits start at $600, or theres a package with an mtm suit, custom shirt, and a tie for $799. Thick as thieves will be around $500 from what ive seen so its a toss up. I really hope someone on here will share their knowledge of the quality of fabric of each of these. I know tom james has many different options, but at this point im only interested in the basic fabric, and i know nothing about thick as thieves' fabrics. Also, some people on here have suggested getting an otr suit but that isnt an option for me. My body type is a mix between athletic and slim so the shoulders on otr suits never fit me. Additionally, my problem is not a lack of suits, it is a lack of suits that fit me well, so i wouldnt really benefit from having 2 more suits that kind of fit as opposed to one suit that fits extremely well. I know quality of fabric is important, but my main priority right now is having a suit that fits as well as possible while still getting as good of quality fabric as possible

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads