• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fitment opinions

Neb

Reaction score
EDIT: Suit # 2 on second page Ok I have a couple suits in my wardrobe and some fit better than others. Can I get some honest advice on making them fit great? Please no "that looks like &*#%" comments. At least tell me WHY it looks that way and what could be done to fix it. I figured I'd just post a different suit a day until I've worn them all. This one is today's suit. I'm a slim build so it I'd prefer the slimmer cut/look. This one actually fits me pretty good although the crotch is a little snug. Some of my other ones though...
plain.gif
IMG_3251.jpg
IMG_3252.jpg

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thing the button instance is a bit high for you.

I´ll reduce the waist , short and slim the trousers where you have the hands and perhaps would short the sleeves 1,5 cm to show the shirt cuffs.

To my opinion the lapels are too narrow , but there are tastes ....

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
With the exception of your left sleeve being a little long, the jacket doesn't look all that bad. As sho-nuff said, the pants are way off. They are way too long as there is bunching at your ankles. And something just isn't right at your waist. It's kinda hard to tell, but it looks like you are wearing them too low on your waist.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is going to be fairly tedious but to start off with I would get rid of this one.

It looks like a typical middle aged man's cheap suit. You have not even troubled to press the trousers which would have improved it a little and at least showed that you care about your appearance. I would also say that it is quite old or at the least a very out dated style if you have bought it new recently.

The sleeves are odd lengths
The button stance is wrong and the coat is too small for you giving rise to the forced look of the buttoning
the trousers are too long and baggy.

You did ask but tailoring a suit is not possible with every ill fitting base garment.

Neb

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I'll have to start pressing the pants after every wear it seems. The heat really makes them wrinkled and sitting down all day doesn't help much.

Re: the sleeves, my one shoulder slumps a bit that's why they look off, it's something that I need to address in order to have the sleeves the same length.

As for the pants, I do agree they look bunched up at the bottom, when I got them hemmed, they were taken to the bottom of the shoe. In all honesty the pants aren't great overall now that I see them in a photo. They do wear low around the waste because the crotch sits up higher than normal. Maybe I can salvage them yet with a bit of work and a different tailor.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your body frame appears to be good for a slim fit so consider narrowing the pant legs as well as having them taken up. If you are not into slim fit, then the pants need only be taken up. Jacket cuffs should come up 1/2". Wear a V-neck undershirt instead of the crew neck....it's showing
wink.gif

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Here's what you need to do:

Slim the waist of the jacket
Shorten sleeves by about 1/4 inch? (The right sleeve looks fine, but the left sleeve looks too long. Straighten up the jacket and see if the sleeves really need adjusting)
DRASTICALLY shorten pants length (The hem of your pants should rest on your shoe. Your pants shouldn't bunch up)
Is the waist of the pants too big for you, or is there just extra room in the seat? Either way, it needs to be dealt with.

Once you've taken care of those things, you'll be in business.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you dont look slim build in this , you look more like a typical, middle-aged , american , aaac, type of fit in this.
i think it has more to do with the pants being so ill-shaped and not correctly hemmed. also perhaps the lapels are too thin. or maybe you are too nice to yourself.

lol

Ingenieur

Reaction score
One of the best things you can do is press a crease down the legs of the trousers, or take them to a dry cleaner and have them press a crease. Shorten them to your preferred "break" on the shoe, whether or not this is the SF (pathetic "lemming rules" based) floating break.

The left sleeve could be shortened slightly, as could the right shirt sleeve, but away from the internet I doubt anyone would pay any notice to this. Otherwise the fit of the jacket looks good.

Pair up with black oxfords and this would look better than 90% of people away from the internet.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
The button stance is wrong and the coat is too small for you giving rise to the forced look of the buttoning

tailoring a suit is not possible with every ill fitting base garment.

+2; not sure how much that can be altered.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoulders and chest appear to fit.

The collar is loose and could be shortened.

The vents are flaring a bit, but not terribly.

The pants are terrible, they need a good press along with being shortened to a light break (and cuffed!) as well as a taper below the knee.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you dont look slim build in this , you look more like a typical, middle-aged , american , aaac, type of fit in this.
i think it has more to do with the pants being so ill-shaped and not correctly hemmed. also perhaps the lapels are too thin. or maybe you are too nice to yourself.

How did you know? Is he wearing AE second with his JAB suit?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neb
IMG_3251.jpg

1. The collar is loose--theoretically it can be tightened, but you need a tailor to tell you exactly what the problem. You might have a balance issue, which would require more than detaching and trimming the collar. 2. The buttoning point is too high. For all intents and purposes, this can't be fixed. 3. I would not take in the waist. The jacket looks too tight as it is. It's hard to tell what's causing the pulling at the buttoning point, but maybe you need more room in the chest. 4. The pants are too long, obviously, and the back rise or balance is too long, causing sagging behind your thighs. Or, you could be wearing them way too low.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
i think you have a lot to work with here.

the jacket is a very good fit, all things considered, and is actually a pretty modern cut. shoulders good, close fit without pulling, no divots, armholes fine -- most people would wish to be so lucky with OTR. i wouldn't change a thing other than shortening the sleeves a bit (but this is a matter of taste). certainly no tighter.

the button point seems high but i don't think it is -- it's because your crotch is hanging low and the quarters are kinda open. the former can be fixed.

it's the pants that are throwing everyone off. they are indeed a shapeless mess. but easily fixed.

have your tailor slim them down focusing on the upper leg -- they balloon out at the hips and this is what gives the old man look, along with your belly-out posture. the seat will also probably have to be taken in (extrapolating from the looseness in the hip area and the side shot).

obviously, shorten them quite drastically.

stand straighter next time.

do all this and you'll find that you've magically ended up with a pretty modern slim suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics