• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit Fit Opinions

Zach Britton

Reaction score
Gents,

Recently purchased Suitsupply Jort suit. I had the trousers tapered and hemmed (clearly not enough) and the waist of the jacket taken in. What additional alterations would you recommend to the jacket and trousers so the suit is proportional? Taper the sleeves? Shorten the sleeves (the suit is a 38R, I usually purchase a 38S)? Taper and shorten? Is there any way to reduce the dead space in the shoulder? I am having the trousers further tapered from the knee down in an attempt to create a more proportional look.

Thanks

87ACA7FB-A28C-49F9-ABDF-521B2496FA9E.jpeg

1D549EB8-4572-4DF2-9236-09B386C16409.jpeg

D1D0CD6A-DF52-477F-8B7D-7142081C8D5C.jpeg

E3153162-175B-4C35-AD22-163C1F7295A6.jpeg

10353AEC-9032-48F2-A809-F11B1267AA7F.jpeg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trousers already look very tapered and slightly short. Personally, I don't like my socks to show when I'm standing still so I wear my trousers probably a good 1/2" longer than you do. I wouldn't taper the trouser legs any further. As it is, the lower leg already looks like it is fitting closely around your calf and wrinkling at your shins because the fabric can't hang cleanly. More tapering will make this issue more prominent.

I also wouldn't have taken the jacket waist in as much as you did.

Why do you think the suit does not look "proportional"? What do you mean by "dead space" around the shoulder? A suit is not meant to fit like a sausage casing around your body.

Zach Britton

Reaction score
I prefer a trouser with no break. There is too much fabric behind the knee that bunches and is less than ideal.

I agree the jacket was taken in too much by a tailor I should not have used, and that might contribute to the lack of proportionality. When u say proportionality I mean the jacket in the shoulders appears too structured and large in proportion to the trousers even though the suit jacket is lightly padded. Maybe it is the cut of the suit. The width of sleeve also seems to result in a suit that is too wide and does not fit properly.

paxonus

Reaction score
The shoulders look too wide. Are you sure you aren't a better fit in a 36? A 36 would need little to no waist alteration, which would also eliminate the excess material on the back under the vents. Look at the side seam on the trousers. It should be vertical with no curve.

Zach Britton

Reaction score
The shoulders look too wide. Are you sure you aren't a better fit in a 36? A 36 would need little to no waist alteration, which would also eliminate the excess material on the back under the vents. Look at the side seam on the trousers. It should be vertical with no curve.
You are right. The side side of the trousers is off. The suit is a drop 6 so I had the waist taken in. That's why I've gone MTM for my next two.

You are also right that the shoulders are too wide. I think it is just the cut of the suit. Is there anything that can be down to shrink the jacket to size? My size is normally a 38 now (down from a 40), but sometimes I can squeeze into a 36 in the shoulders and arms. However, I cannot squeeze into a 36 in the Jort or Havana cuts from Suitsupply. However, Suitsupply did use a size 36 for my MTM jacket, Sometimes the bicep is too tight on the 36.

paxonus

Reaction score
You are right. The side side of the trousers is off. The suit is a drop 6 so I had the waist taken in. That's why I've gone MTM for my next two.

You are also right that the shoulders are too wide. I think it is just the cut of the suit. Is there anything that can be down to shrink the jacket to size? My size is normally a 38 now (down from a 40), but sometimes I can squeeze into a 36 in the shoulders and arms. However, I cannot squeeze into a 36 in the Jort or Havana cuts from Suitsupply. However, Suitsupply did use a size 36 for my MTM jacket, Sometimes the bicep is too tight on the 36.
First, find a better tailor.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami