• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Fit Help (Pics Included)

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Agreed to the comments about fit. Whether you have this suit altered or purchase another, having it fit properly is vital. A cheap suit that fits well will look a hundred times better than an expensive suit that fits poorly.

EZ

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Agreed to the comments about fit. Whether you have this suit altered or purchase another, having it fit properly is vital. A cheap suit that fits well will look a hundred times better than an expensive suit that fits poorly.

EZ

This is absolutely, positively, undeniably, 100% true.

aon

Reaction score
Get another pair of shoes.
smile.gif

kortex

Reaction score
What would be a good conservative belt?

jcriswel

Reaction score

kortex

Reaction score
I imagine you meant that the black version of that shoe? Which tie? Of course, I'm asking because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about (or I'd dress myself...). I really really appreciate everyone's help.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kortex
I imagine you meant that the black version of that shoe? Which tie? Of course, I'm asking because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about (or I'd dress myself...). I really really appreciate everyone's help.

You should choose the color of belt and shoe that you prefer either brown or black. I recommend black. Also, the shoes and the belt must match.

I recommend the BB #1 tie. This is a pattern. You can pick any color. Did you read this classic from Manton?

Conservative Business Dress (conservative business dress)

Finally, go to Brooks Brothers, ask for a salesperson, explain your situation. The salesperson will give you all the advice you need. They really know what they're doing. Even if you don't buy anything, go to BB and have the salesperson show you their solutions to your situation. It will be an education.

kortex

Reaction score
I read that thread. Good information, thanks. I'm just concerned because the only things I've ever matched have been browns and blacks. Very simple stuff...never messed with matching more "complex" stuff
smile.gif

Leverandon

Reaction score
jcriswel's post is dead on and that 1818 suit from BB is a fantastic price.

On balance, if you can afford it, I recommend buying that suit and ditching the hand-me-down. I agree that the hand-me-down is salvageable, but I'm worried that you'll sink two-hundred dollars into it and still have a somewhat awkwardly fitting, out-of-date garment and will need to buy a new suit anyway. For $300 you would be better served buying a new suit and you just can't go wrong with Brooks Brothers for a first suit. I understand that $550 is a significant chunk of change (I'm a student afterall) but a conservative Brooks Brothers suit is an investment that will last many, many years.

As for shoes/belt, black is more conservative. I'd go with that.

kortex

Reaction score
****. Brooks Brothers is all sold out of anything under size 50 for any suit in this thread. I really liked the grey 1818, damn it all to hell. I was going to buy it today! Would this suit work in grey or navy?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Any other manufacturers would be fine too. Grr...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads