• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fit for tall dude

bespokewheels

Reaction score
Hi all,

you guys know your stuff. thank you for the replies to my other post. I am a tall, but slender guy. 6'4", and about 185 pounds. My chest size ranges from 40-42" depending on my level of exercise. I have a very long but slender torso. Any thoughts on suit jackets (i really need that more than the pants) that might fit me well. A lot of suits fit me very well with slim clothing trending that way, but the jackets end up falling short (literally). I am looking to spend 1500-2K on something. I don't want bottom level, but also don't want to spend 5K on something.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bespokewheels
Hi all, you guys know your stuff. thank you for the replies to my other post. I am a tall, but slender guy. 6'4", and about 185 pounds. My chest size ranges from 40-42" depending on my level of exercise. I have a very long but slender torso. Any thoughts on suit jackets (i really need that more than the pants) that might fit me well. A lot of suits fit me very well with slim clothing trending that way, but the jackets end up falling short (literally). I am looking to spend 1500-2K on something. I don't want bottom level, but also don't want to spend 5K on something. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
I would assume with that height/weight/chest ratio, you would be well suited with a suit/sport coat that is 40L. Start there, and you might need small tweaks to the arm length/waist to accommodate your personal body quirks. First step is to make sure the jacket fits through the shoulders, the rest will follow (or can be adjusted!). Good luck, and take pics when you find some stuff, always interesting to see other tall slim guys in their 'fits'!!
teacha.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I would think that a Long size, be it 40 or 42, would be your best bet. In terms of liking slim stuff, RL Black Label seems to be made for tall slender guys, you can start there.

He could try but I think it will still be too short for him; RLBL 42L is only 1" longer than 42R.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Label will probably be too short for someone his height. I'm an inch shorter with height evenly distributed between torso and legs, and the Black Label cut is borderline. The Polo I-IV cuts will be long enough and maybe Purple Label too. I would start with a 40 Long in the those two and compare to the 42 Long Black Label.

Look at a Euro size 50 or 52 Long Corneliani as well - Saks usually carries them.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
He could try but I think it will still be too short for him; RLBL 42L is only 1" longer than 42R.

I'm tempted to agree. Most 40L jackets fit my torso length-wise pretty well, and I'm at 6'0"/ 160 lbs with a proportionate slim torso. I suspect that he'll need to look for the elusive "XL" sizes.

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
I'm tempted to agree. Most 40L jackets fit my torso length-wise pretty well, and I'm at 6'0"/ 160 lbs with a proportionate slim torso. I suspect that he'll need to look for the elusive "XL" sizes.

I don't know about that. I am 6'4" as is the OP, and when I posted pics of a 'long' suit on here, most of the replies were that the jacket was TOO long... so it really depends on the body type. I have a short torso and long legs, you must have a really long torso for a person 6'0" to fit into a 'long' jacket and have it look decent.

In the end, it all depends on the body, and how you like your stuff to fit.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aragon765
I don't know about that. I am 6'4" as is the OP, and when I posted pics of a 'long' suit on here, most of the replies were that the jacket was TOO long... so it really depends on the body type. I have a short torso and long legs, you must have a really long torso for a person 6'0" to fit into a 'long' jacket and have it look decent.

In the end, it all depends on the body, and how you like your stuff to fit.

It's a good point. My torso is proportionate, but my arms are ridiculously long (I take a 15.5/ 36 shirt). I guess it's arguable whether the length of my jackets should match my orangutan arms or my normally-proportioned torso.

bespokewheels

Reaction score
thank you guys for your help! can any of you recommend more brands of suits, that would be a good start. I like a classic modern/clean look with 2 buttons...

actually that brings up a debate in and of itself. If i am tall and slender, do I go more for the skinny lapel or wide? 2 buttons or 3?

thanks!

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bespokewheels
thank you guys for your help! can any of you recommend more brands of suits, that would be a good start. I like a classic modern/clean look with 2 buttons...

actually that brings up a debate in and of itself. If i am tall and slender, do I go more for the skinny lapel or wide? 2 buttons or 3?

thanks!

well that opens up a whole bag of worms....

I would say the best advice is to stick around a while, read, look at pictures, and use that to develop a sense for what you want. People have taken the time to make many posts with pics of different styles on different body shapes - they are all in the archives. The best bet for a quick fix is the WAYWN thread that is pinned to the top of the "Men's Clothing" forum. Browsing that for a couple (or more) hours will give you plenty of ammunition to find your own best fit.

From there, you need to get out and try things on and discover what works (or doesn't). That is really the only way to figure it out....

orthofrancis

Reaction score
I, too, am 6'4" 205 and take a 44L. I've found two OTR lines that fit fairly well so far that aren't terribly expensive.

Hugo Boss makes suits that will fit you. It's a fused suit, but still looks quite nice.

You could also try Brooks Bros, Fitzgerald line (their thinnest line), but might need a little waist suppression added.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also would recommend one of the Blue Label Polo's. I think their silhouette is super nice and you can get them pretty cheap on Ebay or in Outlets. I'm 6'3 about 175 and they fit me well.

Cid

Reaction score
Interesting responses here.

I am also 6'4", fluctuate between 195-205lbs, and have found the best fitting suit to be RLPL labeled 42L (with 19" shoulders and 25" sleeves, with 36" waist and 33.5-34" inseam). Even within the RLPL line, I have found that many 42Rs fit well.

I have also picked up quite a few Brooks Brothers sport coats and jackets labeled 40R (or size Medium, depending on the model) that fit nicely on the slimmer side for my build. The point is, your mileage may vary.

If you are looking to drop up to 2 Gs on a suit, then why not go bespoke or MTM to be more sure of fit? If you can establish a benchmark - measurements of a suit that fits you best - then you can score at least 2 or 3 very nice suits for the same money.

Just my $0.02 - Best of luck on your quest.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orthofrancis
I, too, am 6'4" 205 and take a 44L. I've found two OTR lines that fit fairly well so far that aren't terribly expensive.

Hugo Boss makes suits that will fit you. It's a fused suit, but still looks quite nice.

You could also try Brooks Bros, Fitzgerald line (their thinnest line), but might need a little waist suppression added.

I find the Regent cut a little more flattering for my tall, thin frame, but both work pretty well. Neither is an extreme cut - both are fairly conservative - but both the Regent and Fitz are flattering IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads