• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Fit - First post

hiver

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my very first post on SF. I have been dreading it for a while, but decided it was time to contribute with something, and at the same time get some input on suit fit. Hope it is the right place to post in, otherwise please forgive me and let me know where to move it to.

Background: I am 39, mostly wear suits, most of them reasonably priced bespoke Asian ones.

2-3 years back, I lost some weight, and since I am on a limited budget, I have been forced to get the best of the suits that were made for me back then - technically too big for me, but altered by a local tailor.

I think this can be seen in the following photos, but I am interested in some guidance in what to look for and instruct the tailor for next time.

The suit you are about to see is made in the sort of transition period of my weight loss, so in some aspects it is not necessarily too big, but in others it seems to be.

Also, I should add these photos are taken a while back, so I have since then learned quite a bit about combinations of pocket squares and ties from reading here...but certainly trying to learn by my mistakes.

So final remarks before I show the pictures:
- I like a somewhat tight/slim fit - (but of course not too much, interested in what you think about the jacket fit?)
- Yes, I know the PS and Tie colours are pretty horrible when combined, Promise never to combine them again!
- Yes, the tie is very unusual (I am sure you can find other words for it :)) (It was a 'casual/fun friday' sort of thing)
- I have learned later on by reading up on this forum, that the trousers are too long. I will make sure this is changed
- Shoes are dark brown, belt black. Classic rookie error I will never make again :embar:
- The trousers have an odd fit somehow? Too baggy but still quite narrow at the waist? But I am having a hard time identifying exactly what should be changed

P1010369.jpg

P1010370.jpg

P1010371.jpg

P1010374.jpg

P1010378.jpg

Thank you in advance for constructive critiscm, and feel free to get it out of your system regarding the tie in general or the PS/Tie Combo :)

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
overall, id say the fit is pretty good and kudos for having the balls to post a fit first time out.

That said, the shoes I don't like at all and I feel the pants are too long.

Also, perhaps its cause of the watch, but the fairly short jacket sleeve without a shirt cuff showing looks a bit odd.

good job

hiver

Reaction score
Quadcammer, thanks for your comments and kudos :)

Thats a great point I had completely missed - the sleeve lenght shirt/jacket combo. As I read your comment, with a longer shirt sleeve it should improve. I will try with another shirt.

Thanks!

hiver

Reaction score

That button stance is incredibly high..

Prof, thanks for your comment, and it makes sense, thinking back: I wanted a 3 button suit, but was talked out of it, and as a sort of compromise, they suggested to raise the button stance. In hindsight, not a smart move, glad you point it out so I can order it more traditional for next time.

Thanks!

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score
Like quad said, overall pretty good fit, though i'd echo the comments about trouser length, and would probably consider tapering a bit below the knee (not radically, just an inch or so). I'd probably throw away the PS, which would also make the tie a bit less jarring- the clash of yellow and red there is distracting. The button stance won't be noticed by pretty much anyone outside these boards, but it really makes it look like something (eg a third button) is missing the more I look at it.

In all, a few minor changes would improve things nicely. Very good first post/fit.

hiver

Reaction score

Like quad said, overall pretty good fit, though i'd echo the comments about trouser length, and would probably consider tapering a bit below the knee (not radically, just an inch or so). I'd probably throw away the PS, which would also make the tie a bit less jarring- the clash of yellow and red there is distracting. The button stance won't be noticed by pretty much anyone outside these boards, but it really makes it look like something (eg a third button) is missing the more I look at it.
In all, a few minor changes would improve things nicely. Very good first post/fit.

Good points, duly noted. I suspected something was slightly too loose, just couldn't put my finger on where - and thank you for the compliment!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall it looks very nice. I'll echo some other comments - pants a bit too long, shirt sleeve a bit too short, though the jacket seems perfect.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
Jacket looks great to me. Your tailor did a great job

Pants I would slim a bit starting just slightly from the mid thigh, to a good deal by the time you get to the ankle. Since the leg opening will be smaller, you can get more aggressive with shortening the pants. I'd say at least 1-1.5" depending on your own taste. A good tailor will also take in the seat a little on the bottom. The seat is a little droopy right now, some extra fabric.

I would burn those shoes though. Get some cap toes

hiver

Reaction score

Jacket looks great to me. Your tailor did a great job
Pants I would slim a bit starting just slightly from the mid thigh, to a good deal by the time you get to the ankle. Since the leg opening will be smaller, you can get more aggressive with shortening the pants. I'd say at least 1-1.5" depending on your own taste. A good tailor will also take in the seat a little on the bottom. The seat is a little droopy right now, some extra fabric.
I would burn those shoes though. Get some cap toes

Birks, thanks for the comments and advice! Starting to understand all the subtle hints about the shoes :D

hiver

Reaction score

Overall it looks very nice. I'll echo some other comments - pants a bit too long, shirt sleeve a bit too short, though the jacket seems perfect.

Good to hear that you guys are pretty much in agreement on the advice, and thanks for the jacket praise!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jacket looks great. Pocket square a little much. Shoes are a crime. Other than that great job! Maybe get a fancier belt to stand out a bit more. ;)

hiver

Reaction score

Jacket looks great. Pocket square a little much. Shoes are a crime. Other than that great job! Maybe get a fancier belt to stand out a bit more. ;)

Thank you Sir! Now that you mention it, that is my absolutely most minimal and anonymous belt :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads