Suit fit, feeling vs looking

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scot, Oct 22, 2004.

1. scot

scot Senior member

Off the rack I wear a 40R, at least by looks. When I went to put on a canali suit for size testing it maybe just a touch tight around the shoulders when I move my arms (fine at rest), but my girlfriend said she really liked the look and I agree it looked like the right size/cut. Of course I was wearing a thin cotton sweater over a t-shirt, so I tried it without and it felt like my other suits, but then again as I thought about it, all of them feel a touch tight. With the canali it looks "right" although there was a bit of a "lump" behind my neck, which I am hoping can just be fixed by a tailor.

If I try on a 42R they feel a bit more comfortable in my arms and shoulders, but it definitely does not fit right. The look is wrong, big in the wrong places for me, and I don't think a tailor could fix it without compromising the overal look.

Whats the general rule how a properly sized suit should feel? Should I go with 42R and tailor it down, or should I just use 40R for normal suits and get a 42 sport coat to wear with sweaters and have it tailored for that purpose? (That seems like an extrodinary expense though, so I doubt that will be happening any time soon...)

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

A properly fitted suit should feel like a nice, comfy cardigan sweater. Everything else should be held away from your body with two fingers and dropped in the wastebucket.