• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Fit Critique Thread - noob

teeo

Reaction score
Hey guys, ive been trolling around this forum for a bit gathering as much information I could. So recently, i purchased my first charcoal 2 button suit from Satch (Aus brand). The jacket size is 38 and the pant size is 32. Can you guys tell me how well the suit fits me? I know the sleeve lengths are too long. Can you guys tell me about the rest of the fit? I wont be buying another suit for a while.. did i buy a decent enough suit that can be altered at the tailors or.. ? Also, please ignore my shoes if there not fashionable or anything lol.
sdf.jpg
IMGP1362.jpg
IMGP1379.jpg
IMGP1382.jpg
IMGP1374.jpg
for suit paints:
IMGP1370.jpg
also, theres this weird bump on the left sleeve:
IMGP1376.jpg
IMGP1377.jpg
is that something faulty with the suit? it wont smooth out.. also, where are pants supposed to fit for suits? are my pants sitting where they should be? appreciate all the help guys =] p.s. sorry for the **** photos, my little sister took them

habitue

Reaction score
The jacket seems far to long for your short legs. There is almost nothing a tailor could do there.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong size.

Get a suit one size smaller.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teeo
Hey guys, ive been trolling around this forum for a bit gathering as much information I could. So recently, i purchased my first charcoal 2 button suit from Satch (Aus brand).

Pity. Promise me you will never buy another Satch ever again. That suit is not doing you any favours (the reason is in the next quoted paragraph)

Can you guys tell me how well the suit fits me? I know the sleeve lengths are too long. Can you guys tell me about the rest of the fit?
l'm not going to neccessarily be generous in my comments, but please, do not take it personally. l'm going to criticise your suit, not you.

lt is an appalling fit. Nothing fits at all.
1). Sleeves far too long
2). Pants too long, no nice drape. They look messy all along the leg, especially messy how they sit on the shoes. (Pants are cut all wrong, that's why they look so messy).
3). Sleeves don't drape nicely at all (the construction is all up the ****)
4). Collar is an abomination. (That suit will nape at the neck and the suit will move around against the body instead of move around with the body. You will do something, but your suit will do something else. Your suit will have a mind of it's own).
5). Suit material is pulling all in the wrong direction.

Too many problems with the suit to even list here.

Basically, your suit is a total disaster. lf l saw a guy wearing a suit that poorly fitting, l would shake my head and look the other way.

.. did i buy a decent enough suit that can be altered at the tailors or.. ?
Not worth it at all. Sorry man.

Please learn to develop your eyes by looking at good fitting suits. Poor fitting suits send out bad signals to people (eg, i'm oblivious to detail, my work ethic is poor, i'm messy and unorganised, to hell with everyone...l do as l please). You may not be like that at all, but those are the messages some people will draw from such a badly fitting ensemble. Use clothes to your advantage, don't let them hinder you. Concentrate on good fitting clothes and you'll go far.

is that something faulty with the suit? it wont smooth out..

lt won't smooth out. The suit is completely cut wrong, the suit is assembled completely wrong, and the suit is constructed completely wrong.

l wish l had a camera and knew how to post pics of a proper fitting suit. ls anyone able to help this young man out by posting a picture of a proper fitting suit?

H.

teeo

Reaction score
^
no, thats exactly the type of replies i wanted. good honest critique.
well to the guy who said to go one size down.. the pants fit exactly and the suit when buttoned up gives me just about enough room.. if i go down 1 size i dont think i wud be able to button up the pants..

damn the sales assistant lol.. he made it sound like everything fit so good.. and while i was there looking at the mirror, it did look decent.. ijust thought the sleeves and pant legs were too long.. argh

so there is nothing else i can do about this suit? im not sure if i can return this suit coz i got it recently at that 30% off sale ... do you think i could return it on the basis of that wierd bump on the sleeve? and if i cant return it.. ill be stuck with this suit for a while.. theres nothing i can do to it to make it a bit more decent?

appreciate the comment guys

p.s out of curiosity are the shoulders too big.. or just a tad big or..? just for future reference..

Harry Lean

Reaction score
^
no, thats exactly the type of replies i wanted. good honest critique.
well to the guy who said to go one size down.. the pants fit exactly and the suit when buttoned up gives me just about enough room.. if i go down 1 size i dont think i wud be able to button up the pants..

Yes, that fellow gave wrong advice. lt's not that simple.

damn the sales assistant lol.. he made it sound like everything fit so good.. and while i was there looking at the mirror, it did look decent.. ijust thought the sleeves and pant legs were too long.. argh
Never ever listen to sale assistants. They will make sure you waste your money on poor choices.

so there is nothing else i can do about this suit? im not sure if i can return this suit coz i got it recently at that 30% off sale ... do you think i could return it on the basis of that wierd bump on the sleeve? and if i cant return it.. ill be stuck with this suit for a while.. theres nothing i can do to it to make it a bit more decent?

appreciate the comment guys

You can make it more decent by going to a tailor. But is it worth paying $400 for alterations that still won't be perfect? That suit will lack the material needed to do a complete recut (it's a cheap suit that has minimized the amount of material used by it's inadequate cut). The suit has the ability to look alot better but it will still have fit issues.

Next time you go and buy a suit, ask here first. Some people have quite good suit knowledge here. Some here have alot more experience with suits than yourself and we are here to help.

H.

teeo

Reaction score
$400 dollars? damn..
this whole suit thing is so complicated. how much approximately does it cost just to alter the sleeves? and the inhouse tailors of satch altered the pants for me.. sigh.. cant believe its that crap.

btw Harry Lean, i was under the impression Satch was a good brand?

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Another thing to be aware of is your body shape. You body is uneven (a collapsed right shoulder), this is also contributing to the twisted look of the suit. This is why the jacket looks so knotted up around the stomach/button area. As i've said, far too much wrong to post it all here.

teeo

Reaction score
wow, i just noticed that too after you mentioned that. how odd haha

Harry Lean

Reaction score
$400 dollars? damn..
this whole suit thing is so complicated. how much approximately does it cost just to alter the sleeves?

That's another thing, it's going to be costly because the tailor will have to remove the sleeves completely. lt's not just a case of cutting off the sleeve end and making it shorter. lt's quite a tricky operation that is best left to a very good tailor to do. l would NOT trust those Satch people, they have no idea.

and the inhouse tailors of satch altered the pants for me.. sigh.. cant believe its that crap.
He can't tailor for ****. Never see him again!!!

btw Harry Lean, i was under the impression Satch was a good brand?
Marketing does make one think that so you can be forgiven. Satch is poorly cut, heavily fused suits made from cheap material that wears out fast. The suit will look like a rag in no time.

teeo

Reaction score
what brand would you suggest or store to check out to buy a decent suit in the 500-700$ range off the rack?

well i wont be able to purchase another suit for a while, so i guess ill be the guy that people look at and think:

lf l saw a guy wearing a suit that poorly fitting, l would shake my head and look the other way.

thanks for answering my questions though, appreciate it =]

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Teeo, when it comes to buying a suit, don't worry about pants that won't initially fit perfectly. The most important this is to get a jacket that fits you as close to perfect as you can (and pay special attention to how well the shoulders fit).

Tailors have a much easier time tailoring pants than jackets (if you typically need pants to be taken out make sure that there is a bit of material to allow this).

btw are you in Melbourne?

Harry Lean

Reaction score
what brand would you suggest or store to check out to buy a decent suit in the 500-700$ range off the rack?

l'm sure there's someone here more qualified to talk about suits in that price range. People will have some excellent suggestions.

thanks for answering my questions though, appreciate it =]

No problem./ Any time.
smile.gif

teeo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Teeo, when it comes to buying a suit, don't worry about pants that won't initially fit perfectly. The most important this is to get a jacket that fits you as close to perfect as you can (and pay special attention to how well the shoulders fit). Tailors have a much easier time tailoring pants than jackets (if you typically need pants to be taken out make sure that there is a bit of material to allow this). btw are you in Melbourne?
yes i am. i got this suit during the chaddy vip night. theres no hope in returning it is there? also coz they altered the pants..

Harry Lean

Reaction score
yes i am. i got this suit during the chaddy vip night. therse no hope in returning it is there? also coz they altered the pants..

No chance of returning it unfortunately. Just be glad you found this place. People will be able to help you more over here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads