• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fit and weight loss

therake

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My question has two parts.

I am currently in the process of losing the weight I gained when I broke my ankle and I expect to be back to my 32 inch waist by May. However, after this period, I plan on bulking up a bit, cleanly eating though, and gaining muscle on my chest, shoulders and back and then cutting again to hopefully around a 30 inch waist.

My worry is that I am going to get a Mr.Ned suit made and since it is expensive, I don't want to have it no longer fit me correctly despite the fact I'll be even leaner, but with broader shoulders and a bigger chest. I doubt I'll gain so much that the suit would not fit me completely but I plan on getting a very natural, almost no padding, roped shoulder with high armholes and slim sleeves so there isn't much room for size gain in my arms, shoulders and chest. Do you recommend I wait until later on to get the suit made or is it possible to alter the suit enough even if I gain muscle and lose bodyfat? I plan on being the same bodyweight but at a lower bodyfat so my torso will have a larger drop than it would at first when I get it made.

Secondly, I was wondering about how to get my pants styled. Even at my leanest, I still had to buy 38-inch pants, despite the fact my waist was around 31-32 inches, because I have very muscled legs from years of playing hockey. I was wondering if you guys recommend getting pleated trousers as opposed to flat fronts? I like how flat fronts are more slimming but I don't know if they are as comfortable or as flattering to my legs as pleats are. I plan on having a suit made that has relatively narrowed peak lapels and the look is supposed to be somewhat fashion forward so I am not sure pleated pants would look that great with my vision of the suit.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to post the picture of my suit when I get it.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wait. Nothing more frustrating than not fitting your favorite clothes after only a few uses.

Tailoring can somewhat alter the fit of a suit if you shrink/grow, but it sounds like you are planning on big enough changes that it would be better to wait and get it right.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Unless you have money to blow, I'd say hold off 'till the body transformation is over. Here's my reasoning: You're getting a bespoke suit becasue you want it to fit perfectly, right? On the "before" you, the suit may fit perfectly and look absolutely smashing, but on the "after" you, it's going to fit like it was made for somebody else becasue it *was* made to fit somebody else. By your own admission, it's going to need tailoring, and it's going to look "pretty good." Right? I'll admit that I'm still a suit newbie, but as I understand it, an average off-the-rack suit needs tailoring and can be made to look "pretty good." So, in the end, wouldn't you end up with an off-the-rack suit with a bespoke pricetag? If *I* were in the same situation as yourself, *I* would tide myself over with MTM or RTW articles that were tailored to fit as well as can be. But then, I'm not you.
smile.gif
Of course, if you're just rollin' in the dough, screw it: bespoke, baby.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can take the waist in some, but if your shoulder size is going to change, you'll have to wait.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads