• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fit and alterations advice

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked this up for 40 bucks. Need to shorten sleeves/pants but not sure what I should ask them to do to smooth out the back?

* note the awesome gladiator lamp.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am assuming the back picture is taken with the suit jacket buttoned. You should try to smooth out the upper back and perhaps extend the waist line slightly; the single back vent looks pulled by a bulging belly.

I think you should just shorten the pants slightly, not a whole lot. You would need a slight break on them to elongate your legs, and of course, cuffs add weight.

Good buy nevertheless. Looks good on you when the jacket is unbuttoned; they hide your big mid section better that way.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. About the vent, I'm pretty sure that its being pulled by the caboose/hips rather than the gut, I have been wondering if I would do better with side vents?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
are you wearing the trousers high enough? you may not need to shorten them as much as you think.

you have an erect posture so the back is too long at the top. that is why the vent is hanging open.

the center back seam should be taken in from zero at the collar to zero at the top of the vent . with the max taken in half way between.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
are you wearing the trousers high enough? you may not need to shorten them as much as you think.

you have an erect posture so the back is too long at the top. that is why the vent is hanging open.

the center back seam should be taken in from zero at the collar to zero at the top of the vent . with the max taken in half way between.

Thanks.

Neophyte question: could you explain what you mean by all of that?
blush.gif
Other than about the trousers.

Conrad

Reaction score
RTW suits are cut for slouchers, if you stand up too straight you get too much material at the top of the suit, and since the excess has to go somewhere it travels down the suit and pushes the vent open.

The second part is to have the suit taken in so it conforms to the profile of your back. you don't alter at the collar and you don't alter in the vents. However, an arc is sewn between the two so the suit becomes form fitting in between.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Thanks.

Neophyte question: could you explain what you mean by all of that?
blush.gif
Other than about the trousers.

look at the side view the bottom hangs longer in back. since the coat hangs from the top that where the balance is.thats why it needs to be shortened on top. rtw suits are balanced for an average posture.if you look at the side view you can see how the back is flat and a short straight line. the front gets longer as you lean back and the front curves. the head pitching fore ward or back will also have an additional effect.
as to the center seam. it is curved and your back is not. your back is narrow and flat. there is no excess of fabric at each end of this seam. but there is near the middle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads