• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Fit / Alteration Advice

azif

Reaction score
Sorry to create another thread. But need another opinion (i know i need to iron the shirt).

Recently bought a dior homme suit online (since theres no store that sell it in sydney) and it seems to be too big.

Should i get the suit altered or should i just sell it (and size down next time)?

Will shortening the sleeves and length of jacket just ruin the DH cut?

PB131589-Copy.jpg

PB131591-Copy.jpg

PB131592-Copy.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way it looks, I could not distinguish the differences between your dior suit and those that sell 3 for $99.

It's way to big. No sense tailoring, get smaller size.

azif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
The way it looks, I could not distinguish the differences between your dior suit and those that sell 3 for $99.

It's way to big. No sense tailoring, get smaller size.

thanks, thought so really wanted a DH suit and was a good price, too bad

azif

Reaction score
Should i size down one or 2 sizes, i dont have access to a store.

Cheers

azif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by azif
Should i size down one or 2 sizes, i dont have access to a store. Cheers
I've chucked it up for sale on ebay but i really dont want to sell it. Are you definite that an alteration cant save it?

laphroaig

Reaction score
I don't agree. Firstly take brighter pictures, I had to max the brightness to make out anything at all and it was still hard to see.

It looks like the suit fits very well across the shoulders. The suit is a little too long by maybe half an inch to an inch. The chest size is pretty good too (going by the back picture). DH did and (does?) have shorter jackets on some of their suits. Same length sleeves though, because they don't seem to have S,R,L sizing differentiation, just different cuts/styles. Sleeves and hem can be altered. Some of the suits can be a little sackish without much waist supression. Waist supression is an easy fix if you don't like the style of the current jacket.

Before you sell, if you want to try on a couple of DH jackets, check out Assin in Paddington. They don't have a wide range but see if they have anything that is shorter. The problem with DH suits is that the sizing can vary a size either way season to season and between styles in a single season so trying on a KVA suit now doesn't mean a HS suit from 2 seaons ago will fit the same way.

azif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
I don't agree. Firstly take brighter pictures, I had to max the brightness to make out anything at all and it was still hard to see. It looks like the suit fits very well across the shoulders. The suit is a little too long by maybe half an inch to an inch. The chest size is pretty good too (going by the back picture). DH did and (does?) have shorter jackets on some of their suits. Same length sleeves though, because they don't seem to have S,R,L sizing differentiation, just different cuts/styles. Sleeves and hem can be altered. Some of the suits can be a little sackish without much waist supression. Waist supression is an easy fix if you don't like the style of the current jacket. Before you sell, if you want to try on a couple of DH jackets, check out Assin in Paddington. They don't have a wide range but see if they have anything that is shorter. The problem with DH suits is that the sizing can vary a size either way season to season and between styles in a single season so trying on a KVA suit now doesn't mean a HS suit from 2 seaons ago will fit the same way.
thanks for the input (its a eu50) i went to hk last month and tried on a few dh suits - i can fit into a 46 jacket but it bunches around the waist the 48 fits quite well its the classic black suit which afaik doesnt change - whcih is the style i wanted and im having second thoughts about selling it since to get another would be 2000us on sale the fit across the shoulders i think is good, but it is baggy as anythign around the waist and i thought altering the length of the jacket would ruin the placement of the pockets :S

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if a 48 fits well why did you buy a 50? Genuinely curious, not meaning to be offensive. I think it's settled that the suit is a size too big but I would also recommend looking into better fitting shirts, there seems like there's a lot of wrinkling on your shirt that is caused by loose shirt underneath a fitted jacket.

azif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
So if a 48 fits well why did you buy a 50? Genuinely curious, not meaning to be offensive. I think it's settled that the suit is a size too big but I would also recommend looking into better fitting shirts, there seems like there's a lot of wrinkling on your shirt that is caused by loose shirt underneath a fitted jacket.
i had never tried one on (no DH boutiques in aus) and the measurements were close to one of my other suits... the shirt is unironed so thats the wrinkling, need to start investing more in clothes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads