• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit Fit / Alteration Advice

azif

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
131
Reaction score
10
Sorry to create another thread. But need another opinion (i know i need to iron the shirt).

Recently bought a dior homme suit online (since theres no store that sell it in sydney) and it seems to be too big.

Should i get the suit altered or should i just sell it (and size down next time)?

Will shortening the sleeves and length of jacket just ruin the DH cut?






 

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,106
Reaction score
85
The way it looks, I could not distinguish the differences between your dior suit and those that sell 3 for $99.

It's way to big. No sense tailoring, get smaller size.
 

azif

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
131
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by lee_44106
The way it looks, I could not distinguish the differences between your dior suit and those that sell 3 for $99.

It's way to big. No sense tailoring, get smaller size.

thanks, thought so really wanted a DH suit and was a good price, too bad
 

azif

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
131
Reaction score
10
Should i size down one or 2 sizes, i dont have access to a store.

Cheers
 

azif

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
131
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by azif
Should i size down one or 2 sizes, i dont have access to a store. Cheers
I've chucked it up for sale on ebay but i really dont want to sell it. Are you definite that an alteration cant save it?
 

laphroaig

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2007
Messages
736
Reaction score
3
I don't agree. Firstly take brighter pictures, I had to max the brightness to make out anything at all and it was still hard to see.

It looks like the suit fits very well across the shoulders. The suit is a little too long by maybe half an inch to an inch. The chest size is pretty good too (going by the back picture). DH did and (does?) have shorter jackets on some of their suits. Same length sleeves though, because they don't seem to have S,R,L sizing differentiation, just different cuts/styles. Sleeves and hem can be altered. Some of the suits can be a little sackish without much waist supression. Waist supression is an easy fix if you don't like the style of the current jacket.

Before you sell, if you want to try on a couple of DH jackets, check out Assin in Paddington. They don't have a wide range but see if they have anything that is shorter. The problem with DH suits is that the sizing can vary a size either way season to season and between styles in a single season so trying on a KVA suit now doesn't mean a HS suit from 2 seaons ago will fit the same way.
 

azif

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
131
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by laphroaig
I don't agree. Firstly take brighter pictures, I had to max the brightness to make out anything at all and it was still hard to see. It looks like the suit fits very well across the shoulders. The suit is a little too long by maybe half an inch to an inch. The chest size is pretty good too (going by the back picture). DH did and (does?) have shorter jackets on some of their suits. Same length sleeves though, because they don't seem to have S,R,L sizing differentiation, just different cuts/styles. Sleeves and hem can be altered. Some of the suits can be a little sackish without much waist supression. Waist supression is an easy fix if you don't like the style of the current jacket. Before you sell, if you want to try on a couple of DH jackets, check out Assin in Paddington. They don't have a wide range but see if they have anything that is shorter. The problem with DH suits is that the sizing can vary a size either way season to season and between styles in a single season so trying on a KVA suit now doesn't mean a HS suit from 2 seaons ago will fit the same way.
thanks for the input (its a eu50) i went to hk last month and tried on a few dh suits - i can fit into a 46 jacket but it bunches around the waist the 48 fits quite well its the classic black suit which afaik doesnt change - whcih is the style i wanted and im having second thoughts about selling it since to get another would be 2000us on sale the fit across the shoulders i think is good, but it is baggy as anythign around the waist and i thought altering the length of the jacket would ruin the placement of the pockets :S
 

Lel

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 19, 2007
Messages
3,386
Reaction score
589
So if a 48 fits well why did you buy a 50? Genuinely curious, not meaning to be offensive. I think it's settled that the suit is a size too big but I would also recommend looking into better fitting shirts, there seems like there's a lot of wrinkling on your shirt that is caused by loose shirt underneath a fitted jacket.
 

azif

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
131
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by Lel
So if a 48 fits well why did you buy a 50? Genuinely curious, not meaning to be offensive. I think it's settled that the suit is a size too big but I would also recommend looking into better fitting shirts, there seems like there's a lot of wrinkling on your shirt that is caused by loose shirt underneath a fitted jacket.
i had never tried one on (no DH boutiques in aus) and the measurements were close to one of my other suits... the shirt is unironed so thats the wrinkling, need to start investing more in clothes
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 137 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 255 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 123 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 8.7%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.0%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 2.9%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.2%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 49 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,778
Messages
9,223,774
Members
193,621
Latest member
hollygraham4545
Top