• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fit advice

pubbalpaca

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the sartorial world here. I bought 2 suits off the rack (can't afford a bespoke suit), both are supposed to be the same size but oddly enough one is a little more snug and shorter than the other. I plan on returning one, so any advice on which to keep would be great.
1.jpg

I like the length on this jacket but it feels tight when I do the hug test.

1624357146570.png

This one is more comfortable but the jacket is a little longer than I'd like, and I would have to alter the sleeve length too. Would shortening the jacket throw off the position of the bottom 2 pockets (ie the pockets look too close to the bottom of the jacket)?

I will also take in the waist a little on either one of these.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Personally I find both suits to be tight fitting on you. In fact, if you hadn’t said anything I would have thought they were the same. The first one is definitely tighter though just based on the amount of bunching around the arms

I think the length on the second is actually fine. A jacket can be shortened to a degree without throwing off the balance. I’m not sure you would want to in this case.

Another point not mentioned are the lapels. The gorge is too high so the points of the lapel seem to be poking above the shoulders.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with all points above - the first thing I noticed were the lapels sticking up too high. But both the jacketarms and the pant legs are too tight.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The suit all around looks shrunken -- the jacket is too tight and short, and the trousers are too tight. The stylistic details are made to match that silhouette (e.g. the very high peak lapels).

You may find these videos useful:

rjc149

Reaction score
If these are your first suits, I would opt for more classic and conservative styling and fit, to make them more versatile and long-lasting, and thus provide better value for your money. You look like you're in shape, which is always good, but a suit should not flaunt your musculature. Slim-fit suits are currently trendy with younger men, but neither the trend, nor your youth, will outlast the garment.

If you absolutely must have peaked lapels on a suit, make sure they're not poking up like little horns over your shoulder. That may be a fit issue or the styling of the suit, not sure, but I would get that handled. 3-inch notched lapels are always a safer bet.

rjc149

Reaction score
Not to sound like a Joseph A Bank fanboy, but I think they make great beginner suits, even beyond beginner. They generally embody a more classic suit silhouette, and the mid-level (Signature and Signature Gold) lines are half-canvassed and good value for your buck. The M2M offerings are decent, but for those prices ($700-800) you can do better off-the-rack or Asian bespoke. I would just avoid the cheaper lines, which have fused (glued) linings that will not only be stuffy, but will inevitably start developing bubbles and warts. Generally speaking, unless you're on a tight budget for an interview/wedding/funeral suit, make sure you avoid fused lined suits so it will last.

Aboud

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the sartorial world here. I bought 2 suits off the rack (can't afford a bespoke suit), both are supposed to be the same size but oddly enough one is a little more snug and shorter than the other. I plan on returning one, so any advice on which to keep would be great.
View attachment 1628641
I like the length on this jacket but it feels tight when I do the hug test.

View attachment 1628643
This one is more comfortable but the jacket is a little longer than I'd like, and I would have to alter the sleeve length too. Would shortening the jacket throw off the position of the bottom 2 pockets (ie the pockets look too close to the bottom of the jacket)?

I will also take in the waist a little on either one of these.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
If a suit doesn't pass the hug test then it's too tight. Take the second one and get it tailored. just make sure you let the tailor understand exactly what you want to be done. It looks good

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads