• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Fit Advice

plzhelp99

Reaction score
Help me out, fam. Is this fit any good? Why/why not? Suggestions?

Blaq "Tailored-fit" Jacket, size 42/107r. 42in/87cm Pants, if those details are relevant.

Sincerely,

Just a Boy Who Needs Help
all2.jpg

Lyman

Reaction score
The suit has two main issues from what I can see. One is easily corrected, one less so.

Let's start with the former: the Trousers. Your are too long. This is evident from the fact that they stack up on the bottom of your shoe. It should be relatively cheap and easy for a tailor to alter them. Ideally you want a very small break in the bottom of them or no break at all.

The other major issue I have with your jacket is the length of the sleeves. They are far, far too long. A good rule of thumb that I once heard is that your sleeve should end around about the top of your wrist bone. This allows for you to show a little bit of shirt cuff. Whilst this rule is imprecise and I think there are a few centimetres leeway, your blazer sleeve is far too long and engulfs half of your hand. In sum, this makes the suit jacket look ill-fitted and sloppy.

You need to rectify this issue. From what I'm aware you've got the 42r. If possible, return the suit jacket and try the 42s variant. I know that it is possible to get a tailor to shorten the sleeves of a suit jacket (having ridiculously long arms myself, I've never done this), however I'm assuming this is a rather expensive piece of surgery. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong, styleforum aficionados), such an alteration can be done extremely badly if the cuff is simply shortened. Really, the sleeve needs to be shortened from the shoulder.

On the bright side, however, I think the body of the jacket fits you quite well and I'd say the shoulders were the correct size.

Chowkin

Reaction score
@Lyman, May I respectfully disagree with your suggestion on getting a 42S as the length of the jacket would be too short and not sufficient to cover his behind.

Provided the sleeves do not have functioning buttonholes, shortening them should not be too much of an issue.

To the OP - if you are taking the suit to an alteration tailor, see if he could tidy up the parts I’ve circled.

A523E9BB-37F6-4555-9513-1DAB1B2A2F3F.jpeg

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants and sleeves need to be shortened for sure, both of which are simple and inexpensive. Overall pretty good for OTR. Is it your first suit? Only suit? Relatively expensive or inexpensive?

Edit: Do not go with a short size. :brick:
This jacket is the correct length for you. It’s quite common for sleeves to be longer than necessary, and they are easily fixed. The shoulders and length of this jacket are really good for you, and those are the important things that can’t be fixed. :thumbs-up:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads