• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fabric

Mecnun

Reaction score
Any views on what is a good and durable fabric weight and type? What are the best fabric makers? Brioni seems to be using Scabal and Loro Piana a lot. Are the Italian fabrics better/worse than the English makers? What is a good weight of a fabric for more durability and seasonality, i.e. between 250-300 grams (anything heavier is to heavy for me)? Is there relation between a weight of a fabric and its durability or does it depend more on the fineness of the yarn?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally the English makers and heavier fabrics will be more durable and drape better. See Lesser, Smith, Holland & Sherry, Moxon for example.

A standard 80s or 100s 310-400 gram (10-13 oz) worsted from those merchants should be wearable for three seasons and be hard-wearing. Rubinacci's tailors can advise you on such.

Edit: anything over 300 grams is too heavy for you? Where do you live? Some more open weaves (hard to find RTW) are considerably cooler and can be wear in heavier weights.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Heavier fabrics are much easier to tailor than light ones.

That being said, I rarely order anything over 280gm for a suit or over 320gm for a sportcoat. I think that the super heavy cloths look great, but they feel like ****.

pkincy

Reaction score
And in locales like mine (Scottsdale) anything over 320 grams is unwearable even in December.

The upshot is that what climate you are experiencing is probably the biggest factor you can have in fabric weight. I would stay above 280 grams if I could and would prefer 320 but it simply isn't wearable in this hot a climate.

Went shopping with the wife today and she really couldn't get into thinking about clothes saying, "in a few weeks we won't be able to wear clothes for a few months."

Perry

Mecnun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Heavier fabrics are much easier to tailor than light ones.

That being said, I rarely order anything over 280gm for a suit or over 320gm for a sportcoat. I think that the super heavy cloths look great, but they feel like ****.

What about a Super 150s at 250 grams from Brioni? View on looks, feel & durability?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Don't expect that to last through years of regular wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics