• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fabric advice: dark (not charcoal) gray with self-pattern?

Sanddog

Reaction score
I have a bespoke SB coming in the Smith 2546 flannel, and will eventually get a suit in a charcoal pinstripe (a personal favorite - not sure whether SB or DB). I'd like to have a near-solid gray worsted as well - since I'm afraid the flannel will be too hot to wear for about 8 months a year.

Can anyone recommend a fabric that is between the Smith 2546 and charcoal gray in color, and that has a nice subtle same-color pattern in the weave - like a herringbone, or a nailhead, or something? My tailor sent me some swatches but I seem to have miscommunicated with him as nothing was close to the mark. I'd prefer something on the lighter side -- 10oz, more or less.

Or is this a poor idea - should I just get the charcoal pinstripe in an SB (so I can wear it to a wider range of business occasions) and ditch the idea of the in-between gray worsted entirely?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Minnis #0909, a black & white birdseye, should meet your requirements. Birdseye is a wonderful weave, looks solid from a distance, and this particular cloth is 10-11 oz. It's less common than herringbone, a little more interesting than nailhead, and most stylish in my opinion.

Sanddog

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Any other thoughts? Anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics