• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit/Dress Pants Questions

Izod32

Reaction score
I'm a guy in my mid 20s. I never had a job before nor even an interview but will try to look for one later this year. I never owned a suit before.

I know that for an interview, let's assume its for a business job such as bank job or office job... you need a suit and its best to be navy or charcoal and to avoid black. And you need a dress shirt, a tie and shoes.

My question is what about those wool dress pants people buy for work? Are those not allowed on an interview? Most people don't wear suits to work everyday right even if their job is in the office? You only need the suit for an interview or am i wrong here? Many people say to me never wear grey wool dress pants on an interview but i know these dress pants are meant for the office. But are these pants just for what you need to wear when you go to work daily since you you already got the job? Sorry if my sentences don't make any sense here.

Also, another question i have is what about people who do interview for jobs in the summer like when its 80 degrees? Are you really required to wear a suit in that type of weather? Or is wearing dress pants, tie and button up shirt with shoes enough? And in that type of weather, do most people just wear cotton dress pants as oppose to wool since its way too hot? Is it wrong to wear wool dress pants?

JonasAberg

Reaction score
I think it depends a lot on your age and what position you are applying for.
If you are 18, applying for your first job at the dog food factory, then you'll probably be fine wearing nice, clean, slacks, shirt and a blazer. If you are 27 and applying for a job as an investment banker you probably need to wear a suit.

I would, however, say that if in doubt - wear the suit. It shows that you have made an effort. I don't think anyone will think less of you for wearing a suit to an interview but it could backfire if you show up in jeans and sweater.

As for hot summer days, wear a linen suit, or if you only have one suit - suck it up and suffer for a few hours. If it's extremely hot, you could always bring the suit separately, arrive early and change in a bathroom. Aren't most office buildings air conditioned these days anyway so it won't be as hot inside.

dasai

Reaction score
I'd say it depends on the formality of the workplace, but if you're unfamiliar with the office environment at that particular employer, it's best to err on the side of caution and wear a suit to the first round of interviews. if you're invited back, you can judge from your previous visit as to what would be most appropriate (but I still wouldn't go any less than a sportcoat and wool slacks; just ditch the tie if need be).

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20's about time to get a suit. You stopped growing and you've hit the age where soon people will be dropping off and getting hitched. Besides, in about 10 years or so you're gonna look ridiculous if all you ever wear is athletic clothes.

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izod32
I'm a guy in my mid 20s. I never had a job before nor even an interview but will try to look for one later this year. I never owned a suit before.

I know that for an interview, let's assume its for a business job such as bank job or office job... you need a suit and its best to be navy or charcoal and to avoid black. And you need a dress shirt, a tie and shoes.

My question is what about those wool dress pants people buy for work? Are those not allowed on an interview? Most people don't wear suits to work everyday right even if their job is in the office? You only need the suit for an interview or am i wrong here? Many people say to me never wear grey wool dress pants on an interview but i know these dress pants are meant for the office. But are these pants just for what you need to wear when you go to work daily since you you already got the job? Sorry if my sentences don't make any sense here.

Also, another question i have is what about people who do interview for jobs in the summer like when its 80 degrees? Are you really required to wear a suit in that type of weather? Or is wearing dress pants, tie and button up shirt with shoes enough? And in that type of weather, do most people just wear cotton dress pants as oppose to wool since its way too hot? Is it wrong to wear wool dress pants?

I work in a small company, I'm interviewing people right now. The particular position is for a combination financial analyst/developer. The last two guys I interviewed did not have suits. I'll look past it. But note what I'm saying: "I'll look past it". A suit would have been better. If this job required client interaction, I'd have serious doubts.

We are business casual but wear suits to meet clients.

IMHO, _if possible_ always wear a suit, even if the company is bus-cas. Even if its summer.

If you do not have a suit, and the question is 'should you buy one' ... if you're looking for jobs that require a degree, I would definitely spring for a cheap suit.

Troilus

Reaction score
Also, another question i have is what about people who do interview for jobs in the summer like when its 80 degrees? Are you really required to wear a suit in that type of weather?

80 degrees? Some of us have to wear wool suits every day in the summer, even if the temperature hits triple digits.

If you're hot, (1) keep your jacket off until you approach the door, (2) bring a handkerchief so you can dab off your brow before the interview, (3) use a restroom downstairs or at the Starbucks across the street to check your appearance before the interview. Number 3 should be done regardless of the weather, but it's especially important in that case.

Moreover, wearing a jacket is better in hot weather than just shirtsleeves. Even if you sweat, the jacket will hide the stains.

Izod32

Reaction score
Thanks.

But the dress pants question is what i wanted to ask. You can't wear a dress pants as the pants for an interview right? Dress pants are what you wear after you got the job right? As the suit is what is required for an interview but usually you don't have to wear a sut after you get the job?

rudedog

Reaction score
Thanks.

But the dress pants question is what i wanted to ask. You can't wear a dress pants as the pants for an interview right? Dress pants are what you wear after you got the job right? As the suit is what is required for an interview but usually you don't have to wear a sut after you get the job?

I think you're asking if you can wear some other pants with your suit jacket. If you have to ask, then the answer is probably no. Your suit's jacket and pants are meant to be worn together. Your dress pants are meant to be worn with a blazer or sport coat. As to what you wear at the interview, take the advice of others here and err on the side of a suit, at least for the first interview.

ktrp

Reaction score
Hmm, well others might disagree with me slightly, but here's my 'hierarchy of formality' for business wear for you:

Suit + tie
Jacket + pants (non matching) + tie
Suit with no tie
Jacket + pants (non matching) no tie.
Shirt + tie + pants
Shirt + pants
(in all above, 'shirt' means buttons down the front with collar)
Short sleeve buttoned shirt with pants
polo shirt with pants ...

The general suggestion is to always go with the full level of formality for an interview, because it is _safest_. If the dress code in the job is sometimes or always suit + tie, your ability to comfortably and appropriately wear suit and tie is something you will be judged on.

Once hired, you would wear something at or perhaps a little above what most people/your manager wear.

If you have a pretty good sense the job you are applying for is 'shirt + pants' and _never_ requires a suit, then you might wonder if buying a suit is worth it. I'd say it generally is (though I would personally say it is not worth buying multiple suits just for a series of interviews), but if you truly can't afford it, then dress as well as you can for the interview, and go in with confidence.

Izod32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rudedog
I think you're asking if you can wear some other pants with your suit jacket. If you have to ask, then the answer is probably no. Your suit's jacket and pants are meant to be worn together. Your dress pants are meant to be worn with a blazer or sport coat. As to what you wear at the interview, take the advice of others here and err on the side of a suit, at least for the first interview.

Wait is suit jacket and suit different?

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait is suit jacket and suit different?

A suit refers to the jacket + pants = a full suit.

therefore suit jacket, would be referring to just the jacket of the suit.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Excellent hierarchy ktrp. Just to be pedantic, where would you put

Jacket - polo shirt - pants?

And waistcoats?
laugh.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a polo shirt is a t-shirt with buttons on it. contrary to what you may think it has zero level of formality, so even though there's that flappy little 'collar' and 2 buttons, it's really like wearing a t-shirt and has not place in any formal setting. If you want to wear that casually out to a bar or something fine.

waistcoats technically are the most formal, either as part of a 3 piece suit (always tie) or as super formalwear, or now they're very hip and casual when worn with just a shirt and jeans. you could throw one in with a sportscoat and slacks but that's way beyond the sartorial skills level the OP is asking about.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Wear a full suit if you want to get taken seriously in an interview. Doesn't matter if it's 110 degrees, -20 degrees, raining, snowing, Sunday, Wednesday, etc. Don't ever make an excuse to convince yourself you don't need to dress the part.

Dress pants are basically the pants part of a suit. You can find anything in conservative or wacky patterns, be it a suit or dress pants or a blazer.

Worry about getting the job instead of worrying about the differences between what's worn in an interview vs. everyday wear. We wouldn't know anyway since we don't work at that particular company. Once you get the job HR will be clear about that.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you interviewing for? Start here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads