1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit details for hot climates and comfort?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StrayPants, Sep 27, 2010.

1. StrayPants

StrayPants Member

Will soon get some suits made for work in Hong Kong and would like recommendations on the following:

• What weight of material?
    • Jacket - fully, partial or unlined?
    • Pants - lined, and to what extent? Will lined keep be cooler or hotter?
    • What type of jacket vent? Not sure it really matters when it comes to comfort.
    Basic plan is for a two button suit jacket with single pleated pants.

Recommendations and suggestions are welcomed.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Will soon get some suits made for work in Hong Kong and would like recommendations on the following:

• What type of jacket vent? Not sure it really matters when it comes to comfort.

8 oz wool.

Unlined.

Depending on how much you sweat, unlined. I get mine in 8oz wool lined only in the front to the shin. For some reason I get sweaty knees that would soak right through. Bemberg lining breathes and keeps the sweat from bleeding.

Side vents, as always.

3. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Senior member

Dang, now that's what I'm talking about. A non-smart ass answer! This place is getting better.

4. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

I would recommend seersucker as the best option but I don't know how acceptable that is in Hong Kong.

5. Annadale

Annadale Senior member

Where are you getting it done in Hong Kong?

6. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

Get an open weave fabric, like the JJ Minnis Fresco.

7. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

Check the postings by PhatGuido. He's routinely in areas of high humidity (HK, SIN, etc.) and has mentioned the specifics of his bespoke suiting but not his tailor.

8. razl

razl Senior member

8 oz wool.

Unlined.

Depending on how much you sweat, unlined. I get mine in 8oz wool lined only in the front to the shin. For some reason I get sweaty knees that would soak right through. Bemberg lining breathes and keeps the sweat from bleeding.

Side vents, as always.

patrick has it right but I'll add 2 things:

Get your jacket quarter lined - the lining in the shoulder will help deter heat on our shoulders from direct sunlight, but the back being open will still allow airflow through. Also, pay attention to the lining - bremberg or even cotton, something breathable. Also, functional buttons on the sleeve will give you a bit more breathability, regardless of sprezz factor.

Also, if you have a propensity to sweat like I do, make sure that your jacket has little pads of material in the armpits on the inside. They are to protect your jacket's pits from sweat and can even be switched out if you sweat in the them a lot. You'd rather have them and not need them than without and stains.

9. krakatoa

krakatoa Well-Known Member

Remember that much or most of your time in Hong Kong will be spent in air conditioned environments (at least, I hope that's the case!). I also live in SE Asia and am very comfortable at work in half-lined suits made of four season cloth, although I admittedly don't walk around outside too much in office wear. I would not recommend seersucker, however - it will look out of place.

10. StrayPants

StrayPants Member

I would recommend seersucker as the best option but I don't know how acceptable that is in Hong Kong.

Yes, seersucker would look out of place in Hong Kong.

11. StrayPants

StrayPants Member

Where are you getting it done in Hong Kong?

Not sure at this time. Posted another question about other tailors to use in Hong Kong. Will decide after reading the posts.

Will most likely go to Bangkok to a small shop I have used before. He has a good selection of high quality materials and does a pretty good job on the suit. Also, considering WW Chan based on what I have read on here, although his price may be two to three times as much as the place in Bangkok.

12. StrayPants

StrayPants Member

Thank you for all the comments!

Remember that much or most of your time in Hong Kong will be spent in air conditioned environments (at least, I hope that's the case!). I also live in SE Asia and am very comfortable at work in half-lined suits made of four season cloth, although I admittedly don't walk around outside too much in office wear. I would not recommend seersucker, however - it will look out of place.

Very true, will be inside most of the time, but when I do step outside for a short walk or to get a cab on a hot humid day it's a matter of seconds before the heat becomes too much.