• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Culture, NYC, and the Fall of Lehman

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All possibilities. However, I've observed that when times get tough, dress becomes more formal. Just the other day I was struck by how many men were wearning (albeit poorly fitted) suits in Chicago, and SF.

I'd expect to see MORE formality across the board, vs less.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
All possibilities. However, I've observed that when times get tough, dress becomes more formal. Just the other day I was struck by how many men were wearning (albeit poorly fitted) suits in Chicago, and SF.

I'd expect to see MORE formality across the board, vs less.

+1.

A lot of times, poor dressing at the workplace tends to spring from a sense of entitlement (i.e. I am so good that I can dress the way I want and stick it to the man; what are you going to do about it?).

However, in tenuous times, the last thing you want is to catch someone's attention for the wrong reasons.

Therefore, people are more likely to dress well, just so that they look more professional.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
or couldnt people who were laid off just as easily decide to start their own business and be master of his domain? in which case most would be glad to not have to wear a suit/tie as a work uniform

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The subject line in your post has three independent topics: 1) suit culture, 2) NYC and 3) the fall of Lehman. I don't see any relationships between the three.

Twotone

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, they're very much related. Lehman was one of the few firms on Wall Street to still require suit and tie from all its employees. Tough times or no, I cannot imagine Goldman or MS reinstating a suit and tie dress code. If Wall St. weathers this particular storm without a resurgence of real business attire, you can count it as one more nail in the coffin of men's tailored clothing.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
If Wall St. weathers this particular storm without a resurgence of real business attire, you can count it as one more nail in the coffin of men's tailored clothing.

Yep. The graying of the NYC bespoke tailor doesn't help either.

- B

djs488

Reaction score
Lehman was one of the few firms on Wall Street to still require suit and tie from all its employees.
I'm sorry, but is this even true? My experience only comes from a summer internship but it sure did appear like EVERYONE wore suit and tie, and this was during August. What Wallstreet firms don't require it??

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Why is that?

Fit and perception, but mostly fit I think. That said, I disagree that the suit is headed the way of the dodo - as long as professionals want to look professional they'll continue to wear suits. Whether it's to court, pitching a deal or meeting with a client, the suit continues to be the go to choice for the business man doing something important.

edit: best wishes to anyone who works at Lehman.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSN125
I am sure many executives, bankers, and salesman will continue to don the suit and tie. But what about the rest?

Yes, people will continue to wear suits.

Originally Posted by RSN125
How does the effect local stores, from department to haberdasher's? I have read on other threads that the B&S forum is seeing less sales due the economy. Will prices come down?

Yes, it will hurt, for sure. Not only are there fewer men on Wall Street wearing suits, but there are fewer jobs on Wall St. period (and far less spending money in general)

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djs488
I'm sorry, but is this even true? My experience only comes from a summer internship but it sure did appear like EVERYONE wore suit and tie, and this was during August. What Wallstreet firms don't require it??

i'm quite curious as well given that nearly all of the local brokerage houses here in Asia require suit and tie at all times. i think the term casual friday is non-existant in my field but then again i work sell-side so go figure.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djs488

i know the guys over at citi get to go in wearing business casual.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tough times or no, I cannot imagine Goldman or MS reinstating a suit and tie dress code. .

But the employees might be a bit more proactive about interviewing, and will therefore try to look serious.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mylesmyles
i know the guys over at citi get to go in wearing business casual.

There's a fair difference between what they get to go in wearing and what they actually wear. It seems to me that the folks at VP and above tend to wear suits. Once you hit SVP, or executive director or whatever it may be at the particular institution, they're always wearing suits. There's also a bit more leeway for traders than for bankers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads