1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit critique- with photos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RL Beasley, Jul 1, 2013.

1. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

Hey guys. Looking for your opinion on how I did buying this suit. This is with no alterations so its not too late to return it. I was about to pull the trigger on a suit from suitsupply.com but I went to a saks off fifth and saw this suit from zegna. Originally 1200 I picked it up for 450. It's the black label made for saks fifth. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

*sent from my iPhone

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Do we have to guess what it looks like?

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Do we have to guess what it looks like?

4. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

Uploading photos individually from my phone. Give me just a few more minutes. Thanks!

5. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

You need to cut the threads on vents of the coat and wear shoes. No use without although the trousers appear hideously long.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Question: if that's how he stands naturally, then his sleeves need to be rotated, right?

8. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

The pants haven't been hemmed. And no other alterations have been made. I didn't want to cut the threads because I didn't want any excuse from them to not take the return. Surely there will be enough info here based on brand reputation and other deduced info for someone to give their opinion on whether or not I paid too much or if I'd be better served just getting the suitsupply.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Brand rep has nada to do with it if the fit is bad.
    Take a natural standing shot and post. Also take a flick with the jacket off.
    I also agree that the vent threads need to be cut...

10. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

Fit > quality

looks like some big shoulder divots.

11. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Some pretty divots; think you can do better with SS.

12. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

lol....no one his size can naturally stand that way. He must have stiffened up because he's wearing a suit.

Besides what others have said, the jacket hips look too tight.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  13. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Ribbing on the shoulder, bunching up behind the collar.

Could just be the stance though.

But the skirt is too tight. You can never close the 2nd button. Even with it open your vent will not be closed.

The sleeve is also too long but that can be fixed easily. The others won't be so easy.

14. wing8tesqw

wing8tesqw Well-Known Member

...can't get past the chair [​IMG]

distortion everywhere, size up or consider suit separates.

15. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

+1.

Jacket looks tight.

16. comrade

comrade Senior member

Do you really want such big square shoulder padding?

17. bigbergers

bigbergers Active Member

I think the padding's fine..for me it's the length of the trousers that needs trimming.

18. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all of the feedback. Sorry for the delayed response. Yesterday I was in travel, and today my wife and I start our 7 day stay in Aruba, so I am a little out of touch at the moment.

Also, I know the pictures suck. My wife took them on my phone in a spare junk room in our house, and you can imagine, she wasn't as excited to take them as I would have hoped.

I agree with all of the sentiments expressed here. Seems like the only thing for me to do is return this suit and go with suit supply.

That being said, the closest Saks off Fifth is 2 hours from me. Does anyone have experience doing mail returns with them? And now that you have seen photos of me in a suit, what recommendations of a Suit Supply would you have? I do like a more fashion forward look- slimmer lapels, side vents. Not very traditional, but not runway either.

19. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Haven't you already wasted too much time searching and shopping? Suit Supply very likely would have the same fit problems. It's only a sensible option if you can go to a Suit Supply store and try suits on. Otherwise just buy, for example, a Brooks Brothers suit that's somewhat on the conservative side and have made it more fashion-forward via tailoring.

20. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

Depends on how you define wasted. I am someone who 'needs' to wear a suit maybe 10 times a year, if that. I have tons of time, and I have rather enjoyed learning more about suits than I have ever known before by subjecting myself to this process. Thanks for the advice on going with the brooks and tailoring though. Not a bad idea at all. I was originally trying to stay under 500 all in, with tailoring too. I'm starting to think to get a suit that isn't fused that wears the way I want it too, I will have to spend around 500 on the suit and then pay whatever the tailoring costs and be proud of the results. Thanks.