• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing)

otheme

Reaction score
#1: dark blue, 3-piece, single breast, peak #2: plaid odd jacket #3: grey, 3-piece, single breast, notch #4: plaid, 3-piece, single breast, peak #1-3 were all half canvased, made by D & J in Beijing; #4 was fused, made by a stall in a shopping plaza, and altered by D & J. The sleeves all appear slightly longer but I believe that's due to the angle of the camera. These have gone through 2-4 fittings. Here are the pics of suit #1:

dbc

Reaction score
Not bad but button stance seems a bit high.

How much did they set you back and what was the turnaround time?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree they look quite good, but the button stance does seem a bit high for my liking.

otheme

Reaction score
The high button stance was my preference. 3-piece in 120's costs roughly $250. Odd jacket is about $100-$150 depending on the fabric. My total turn-around time is one week to accommodate all the fittings. The turn-around time between two fittings is usually 1-2 days. Right now it's close to Chinese New Year so all their workers have gone home. During regular season I think one-day turn around is quite do-able.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
the high button stance on the jacket makes you look shorter and stockier than whe you're not wearing it. I appreciate that its a matter of personal taste and that a high stance is 'on-trend' but to me bespoke (or MTM or whatever) clothing should accentuate your good features. You look like you're in good shape but the jacket doesn't accentuate that IMO.

Other than that, to my inexpert eyes it looks pretty good. The waistcoat is especially well-fitting.

I hope you like it, its certainly much better than the average man-on-the-street.

EDIT: the 4th one looks a lot better from a button stance point of view. And for that price, very nice looking.

otheme

Reaction score
Last Year's Man -- thank you for the advice. I think you're right. I have left two pieces of linen fabrics with D & J to make another two sets, and I'll tell them to lower the button stance.

And about the waistcoat -- you're right again. The guy at D & J altered three times to make them fit perfectly. He knows that the bottom of the waistcoat has to be a bit looser than the top so it doesn't get trapped on the stomach when you raise your arms.

Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
the high button stance on the jacket makes you look shorter and stockier than whe you're not wearing it. I appreciate that its a matter of personal taste and that a high stance is 'on-trend' but to me bespoke (or MTM or whatever) clothing should accentuate your good features. You look like you're in good shape but the jacket doesn't accentuate that IMO.

Other than that, to my inexpert eyes it looks pretty good. The waistcoat is especially well-fitting.

I hope you like it, its certainly much better than the average man-on-the-street.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Does D & J bespoke also allow customization on the amount of shoulder padding? I'm looking to have the shoulders with very thin padding or ideally just wadding like the Polo Ralph Lauren blue label suits.

I have the opportunity to go to Beijing this year or next and I'd love to have suits bespoken with that short of a turnaround. Do you mind posting or PM'ing me the contact info/address/phone number for D&J?

Thanks

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look good and I like the higher button stance. The vest looks a bit tight on you. Not a big fan of the peak lapel but to each their own.

otheme

Reaction score
I have asked them to make two linen suits with "super-thin" shoulder pads (perhaps just a layer of canvas). I just got the fabric yesterday so the suits won't be ready until a couple of weeks after the Chinese New Year. I'll post pics later.

I don't think they have a huge selection of padding materials, so you will have to be clear on no padding or just a couple of layers of fabric padding (not the usual synthetic cotton stuff).

You can google "D & J Tailoring Beijing" and their web page with all the contact info would be the first on the list.

Originally Posted by saiyar1
Does D & J bespoke also allow customization on the amount of shoulder padding? I'm looking to have the shoulders with very thin padding or ideally just wadding like the Polo Ralph Lauren blue label suits.

I have the opportunity to go to Beijing this year or next and I'd love to have suits bespoken with that short of a turnaround. Do you mind posting or PM'ing me the contact info/address/phone number for D&J?

Thanks

Motol12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otheme
The high button stance was my preference. 3-piece in 120's costs roughly $250. Odd jacket is about $100-$150 depending on the fabric. My total turn-around time is one week to accommodate all the fittings. The turn-around time between two fittings is usually 1-2 days. Right now it's close to Chinese New Year so all their workers have gone home. During regular season I think one-day turn around is quite do-able.

For $250 this is fantastic, people spend eight times that amount (head-to-toe Gucci wearers, I'm talking 'bout you) and look far worse. Was this your first batch of orders with them, or have they had time to get the pattern right?

NachoBroadway

Reaction score
I agree with everything already said. $250 is unreal, looks good, would prefer a lower button stance.

Originally Posted by Motol12
For $250 this is fantastic, people spend eight times that amount (head-to-toe Gucci wearers, I'm talking 'bout you) and look far worse. Was this your first batch of orders with them, or have they had time to get the pattern right?

sephlod

Reaction score
Great fit. I can't add anything additional than lowering the button stance. Amazing deal as well. Kudos

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads