Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by otheme, Jan 23, 2011.

1. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

#1: dark blue, 3-piece, single breast, peak #2: plaid odd jacket #3: grey, 3-piece, single breast, notch #4: plaid, 3-piece, single breast, peak #1-3 were all half canvased, made by D & J in Beijing; #4 was fused, made by a stall in a shopping plaza, and altered by D & J. The sleeves all appear slightly longer but I believe that's due to the angle of the camera. These have gone through 2-4 fittings. Here are the pics of suit #1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

3. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

4. dbc

dbc Senior member

Not bad but button stance seems a bit high.

How much did they set you back and what was the turnaround time?

5. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I agree they look quite good, but the button stance does seem a bit high for my liking.

6. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

Looks great.

myke

7. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

The high button stance was my preference. 3-piece in 120's costs roughly $250. Odd jacket is about $100-$150 depending on the fabric. My total turn-around time is one week to accommodate all the fittings. The turn-around time between two fittings is usually 1-2 days. Right now it's close to Chinese New Year so all their workers have gone home. During regular season I think one-day turn around is quite do-able.

8. Last Year's Man

Last Year's Man Senior member

the high button stance on the jacket makes you look shorter and stockier than whe you're not wearing it. I appreciate that its a matter of personal taste and that a high stance is 'on-trend' but to me bespoke (or MTM or whatever) clothing should accentuate your good features. You look like you're in good shape but the jacket doesn't accentuate that IMO.

Other than that, to my inexpert eyes it looks pretty good. The waistcoat is especially well-fitting.

I hope you like it, its certainly much better than the average man-on-the-street.

EDIT: the 4th one looks a lot better from a button stance point of view. And for that price, very nice looking.

9. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

Last Year's Man -- thank you for the advice. I think you're right. I have left two pieces of linen fabrics with D & J to make another two sets, and I'll tell them to lower the button stance.

And about the waistcoat -- you're right again. The guy at D & J altered three times to make them fit perfectly. He knows that the bottom of the waistcoat has to be a bit looser than the top so it doesn't get trapped on the stomach when you raise your arms.

the high button stance on the jacket makes you look shorter and stockier than whe you're not wearing it. I appreciate that its a matter of personal taste and that a high stance is 'on-trend' but to me bespoke (or MTM or whatever) clothing should accentuate your good features. You look like you're in good shape but the jacket doesn't accentuate that IMO.

Other than that, to my inexpert eyes it looks pretty good. The waistcoat is especially well-fitting.

I hope you like it, its certainly much better than the average man-on-the-street.

10. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

Does D & J bespoke also allow customization on the amount of shoulder padding? I'm looking to have the shoulders with very thin padding or ideally just wadding like the Polo Ralph Lauren blue label suits.

I have the opportunity to go to Beijing this year or next and I'd love to have suits bespoken with that short of a turnaround. Do you mind posting or PM'ing me the contact info/address/phone number for D&J?

Thanks

11. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I think they look good and I like the higher button stance. The vest looks a bit tight on you. Not a big fan of the peak lapel but to each their own.

12. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

I have asked them to make two linen suits with "super-thin" shoulder pads (perhaps just a layer of canvas). I just got the fabric yesterday so the suits won't be ready until a couple of weeks after the Chinese New Year. I'll post pics later.

I don't think they have a huge selection of padding materials, so you will have to be clear on no padding or just a couple of layers of fabric padding (not the usual synthetic cotton stuff).

You can google "D & J Tailoring Beijing" and their web page with all the contact info would be the first on the list.

Does D & J bespoke also allow customization on the amount of shoulder padding? I'm looking to have the shoulders with very thin padding or ideally just wadding like the Polo Ralph Lauren blue label suits.

I have the opportunity to go to Beijing this year or next and I'd love to have suits bespoken with that short of a turnaround. Do you mind posting or PM'ing me the contact info/address/phone number for D&J?

Thanks

13. Motol12

Motol12 Senior member

The high button stance was my preference. 3-piece in 120's costs roughly $250. Odd jacket is about $100-$150 depending on the fabric. My total turn-around time is one week to accommodate all the fittings. The turn-around time between two fittings is usually 1-2 days. Right now it's close to Chinese New Year so all their workers have gone home. During regular season I think one-day turn around is quite do-able.

For $250 this is fantastic, people spend eight times that amount (head-to-toe Gucci wearers, I'm talking 'bout you) and look far worse. Was this your first batch of orders with them, or have they had time to get the pattern right?

14. NachoBroadway

NachoBroadway Senior member

I agree with everything already said. $250 is unreal, looks good, would prefer a lower button stance.

For $250 this is fantastic, people spend eight times that amount (head-to-toe Gucci wearers, I'm talking 'bout you) and look far worse. Was this your first batch of orders with them, or have they had time to get the pattern right?

15. sephlod

sephlod Senior member

Great fit. I can't add anything additional than lowering the button stance. Amazing deal as well. Kudos