• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit concepts

HitMan009

Reaction score
OK,

It is time now to talk about suiting styles that is less common but have much more flair. I think this thread will be out of style soon since even BR is stealing some of these ideas but I will try anyways. I know many on this board love the SB with peak lapel suit. I am one of those too. With my conservative suiting almost complete, I think I am about to commission a more stylish suit apart from the high gorge notch lapel that forms the staple for suiting. My thoughts on creating a peak lapel SB suit requires the following to look right in my eyes:
1) relatively high gorge but closer to the high part
2) 2 button
3) side vents
4) hacking pockets
5) breast pocket totally parallel to the ground, slightly covered by lapel
6) average waist supression but along the lines of more just a tad above the natural waist
7) flared skirt where bottom button is not covered at all when worn.(Is there a more techincal term for this) but skirt is close to body
8) gently sloping shoulders extended by 1/8" to 1/4" over natural shoulders.

Please remark on my points, pointing out flaws if necessary, more suggestions, etc....

What are your thoughts on your concept suits that are within stylish range and not fashion?

Phil

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, the first thing I would say is that a single breased peak label suit does not have to be only 2 button. I have several that are 3 button, duel vented. They all roll to the second button, but its clear they are 3 button suits. I think they look great. One is the Oxxford Salvatore model, which I think you can view on their website, and the rest are Polo MTM.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Please, please, let me vicariously live through your commission. I have wanted this suit since I saw it, and posted it a few times on the forum:
foreignoffice.jpg
It sounds almost exactly like what you are describing, aside from the hacking pockets, and that it is a 3 roll 2. Plus Sir Samuel has his bottom button done up, which I wouldn't do.

Alexis

Reaction score
That's a smart look (as pictured above). Who does something like that?

Alexis

Reaction score
RL MTM, as well as Oxxford
You mean this one? "Downtown Brown" Two button Salvatore model with peak lapels, soft shoulder and gentle waist suppression. Depicted in a chocolate brown with alternating double and single pinstripes. Oxxford Super 140s white shirt with blue stripes worn with Oxxford silk tie decorated with white "rice" pattern.
oxx-21.jpg

Phil

Reaction score
Alexis, yes that is the one.  I have the 3 button version however.

What is a semi-peaked lapel suit exactly??

Alexis

Reaction score
Alexis, yes that is the one.  I have the 3 button version however.

What is a semi-peaked lapel suit exactly??
Phil,

Can you provide a list of specs on that suit that could be communicated to an Oxxford tailor?

Price range?

Thanx.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
j, where'd you find the picture? Sharp suit indeed. A tailor recently talked me down to 2 buttons on a semi-peaked lapel suit. It would be nice to have a wealth of these photographs on-line to send.
I scanned it a while ago. Here's the caption with the reference:

Sir Samuel Hoare, 30 August 1938. The Foreign Office look with black Homburg hat, rolled umbrella and a super smart three-piece lounge suit, as crisply tailored as could be. The striped shirt has appeared with a white collar which 50 years later is still considered smart. The front crease in trousers was well established in 1938, but Sir Samuel scorns turn-ups, although the man behind him has them. The British were still regarded as the best-dressed men in the world, at the top of society. (From de Marly, Fashion For Men, 1985)

HitMan009

Reaction score
The picture of Sir Samuel is definitely something that inspired me to commission my next suit with peaked lapels. I like the Oxxford model but do prefer the peaks with be pointed upwards a bit more. The Salvatore model has a more widening type peaked lapel. I believe a peaked lapel with the peaks point more north creates a truly stunning look that is very elongating to the wearer.

Thoughts, thoughts, any more ideas for a more stylish, less formal suit?

Alexis

Reaction score
I saw a Dolce Gabbana sportcoat with a "northerly" peak lapel but it was rounded at the tip. It looked strange and then cool and then strange again.

Phil

Reaction score
Alexis-

Well, concerning the Oxxford 3 button peak lapel suit I own, this is what I specified:

-solid colored dark navy blue, part wool, part cashmere
-3 button, rolls to the second button
-half lined
-duel vents
-pants have single pleat
-cuffs are 1.75 inches

Thats what I like in a suit like that, but feel free to insert your own specs.

Price was $2850, it was Oxxford MTM at Saks in NYC.

Phil

Reaction score
As far as the width of the lapels, I disagree with you Hitman. In my mind you are thinking of peaks that I often see by edgier designers. The peaks look too small and insignificant for me like this. Most people, myself included, love peak lapel single breasted suits because those peaks give the illusion of shoulder width without the padding that shoulder pads have. The peaks have to subtly aim at the shoulders, not at your ears, to complete the illusion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics