1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit coat/blazer/sport coat differences

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NormP, Apr 18, 2013.

1. NormP

NormP Member

I was satiating my new thrifting addiction at lunch today (for which I hold the thrifting finds thread accountable) and found an Oxxford for Neiman Marcus double breasted jacket today. It says "fawnskin" which i assume is some proprietary fabric. I was interested in it strictly for flipping since it wasn't my size, but hesitated because for some reason it gave me the impression of being the top half of a suit.

A lot of times I can tell when a pin striped or other patterned jacket is simply missing its pants but this one is a solid color and I don't think a guy that buys his clothes at Neiman Marcus would donate only half a suit. And the inside tag says "Onwentsia" but when I google that I read one guy saying its a sport coat and another talking about his onwentsia suit.

Long story short--from what I've turned up in searches here a blazer is primarily the typical navy or black jacket usually with gold buttons but how do you differentiate between a suit coat and sport coat when it's not painfully obvious? Are there model numbers that certain brands put on the material tags or does it just take a developed eye?

I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013