1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit Buttons on Sleeves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iwantstyle, Dec 7, 2004.

1. iwantstyle

iwantstyle Member

I have noticed recently that a lot of the "trendier" designers (etro, paul smith, etc.) have been placing the buttons on suit sleeves so close that they overlap or "kiss." What do people feel about this? Just a flashy trend, or actually something that is lasting and is suitable for the business world? Thanks a lot.

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

"Kissing" is correct. Too far apart is an indication of lazy or indifferent work. Overlapping is a recent high fashion innovation.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

I'm guessing what he meant was "is this stylish as opposed to fashionable".

This is only a guess.

I thought that suit buttons were supposed to "kiss" (i.e., just barely touch) but not overlap (which would seem to be slightly non-functional, in the event you had working buttonholes).  Am I wrong?

Edit - corrected for punctuation and other things

5. iwantstyle

iwantstyle Member

Thanks for the quick responses. What I meant was if I look at established suit makers - brioni, kiton, etc - they usually have buttons that are close, but not overlapping. Etro, Paul Smith, etc., have buttons that overlap. I am getting a suit made and have a choice on which way to go. I will mostly wear my suit to work, so want it to be acceptable in the business world. Suggestions? Thanks again.

6. DandySF

DandySF Senior Member

Buttons which touch (kiss) but do not overlap (waterfall) make the most sense, to my way of thinking. How could a button function if it were overlapping its neighbor?

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Kissing is correct for all suits, RTW, MTM, or bespoke. Go with kissing, no overlap, no distance.

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

Kiton Blazer

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I found an Oxxford blazer (flipped for eBay) at a thrift store probably circa ~95 that had overlapping buttons... I prefer waterfalling for four buttons, and kissing for three.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I like them overlapping, but it is a bit "forward". There's no reason that overlapping buttons would not be functional, BTW. They only overlap 1/8" or so.

11. JDMcDaniel

JDMcDaniel Well-Known Member

Anyone have pics of waterfalling buttons?

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

preparing a gallery...

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Ok, took some pictures to give an idea of the different options. Zegna, overlapping buttons: [​IMG] Hickey MTM, kissing: [​IMG] Burberry, with spaces btween [​IMG] Flusser bespoke. Â Now, these are kissing, but because the fabric is very thick, they don't lie totally flat, thus it looks like there's some space. [​IMG]

14. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

I vote for the overlap. Can't exactly explain why, just one of those gut reactions.

15. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

I agree, the slightly overlapping buttons look like some thought went into them, as well as the care and attention to make them even. It's a bit of a modern detail that doesn't look out of place on a classic coat, like a high gorge. I think having buttons like this would make it doubly silly to leave one of them unbuttoned.

Tom