• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Buttons as opposed to Shirt Buttons

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
There is a lot of talk about shirt buttons, and a lot of emphasis about MOP vs. plastic, but no one ever talks about suit buttons. So, what's the consensus on this? What should they be made of (horn?) are some made of plastic (assume on cheaper suits they are), and how does one tell the difference?

Thanks,

Dan

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anderson's proclivities aside, I vote for horn. Why? Because I'm an old fart and I revere tradition. Because there is no way to imitate in plastic the look, the 'every one is different' uniqueness of natural buttons. Because it just feels ... right.
How can you tell the difference? Plastic melts; horn burns. Same with M.O.P. Plastic melts; M.O.P. giggles at fire.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Suit buttons are also sometimes made from other natural materials like corozo or tagua nut. Even if a suit has real horn buttons they are often dyed to match the color of the suit.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's very hard to tell whether or not a button is horn or plastic, without subjecting it to fire. My overcoat has black, shiny buttons that I always thought were plastic until I looked at them very, very closely. The backs had patterns not unlike the rings of a tree trunk, and the fronts had little tiny pits and pockmarks indicating a natural material. Plastic, on the other hand, doesn't have that kind of "grain" and is perfectly smooth and glossy.

But yeah, I usually look for those little signs. On most horn buttons I've encountered, the ones that haven't been dyed straight black, the buttons have a little wisp of white near the holes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If you look very closely at the button, and there is a minute seam running around the circumference of the button's outer edge, that is a sure sign that the button is plastic.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Well, I'm off to burn some suits. Silly manufacturers think they can fool me with plastic buttons. Well soon enough I'll know if they were plastic or not, and then who'll be laughing? Eh.?.

Dan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads