• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit and trainers/sneakers

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, one reason they stay away is that they're stuffy. And that they are often thought to require relatively uncomfortable shoes.
That's because people don't buy the right shoe. Any of my dress shoes are as comfortable to me as sneakers, with the benefit of not feeling like I'm walking on marshmallows. I pull the sock liner/ insole out of my running shoes, in fact.

What makes them stuffy? Because you associate them with businessmen? Could I not flip it around and say sneakers are trashy because wife beaters and thugs wear them?

If one were to attempt this, it should be a simple shoe. Your first pic is extremely incongruous. The second is better by comparison, and the last would be close if not for the big red accent. Why does it need to be synthetic or canvas? At least get a leather upper. https://us.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/collections/sneakers
Not my style, nor do I think it flows all that well 2ith the sole, but they are closer to the spirit of a suit than a pair of patchwork NBs.

BXpress

Reaction score
I don't understand why this is even worth discussing. Hasn't that fad died somewhere in the early 2010s? Correct me if i'm wrong. It's nothing new or revolutionary nor rebellious. Why should bringing it back "save" the suit when Oxfords, Derbies and classic boots are alive and kicking atm (much more than the suit since they are more versatile being worn with jeans and chinos)?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And here's another argument: originally tweed or cord suits were the equivalent of today's athleisure. Sneakers didn't exist back then, so people wore other kinds of sporty, comfy shoes with those garments. How do we make the cord/tweed suit more modern? By going back to its origins and pairing it with today's equivalent footwear.

Not so. Sneakers or their equivalent at least go back the the late 19th or
early 20th century.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/230162272/ag-spalding-basketball-shoes-1890s-sport

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my callow youth I tried to emulate Burroughs. But I failed because
I did't have independent means, wasn't gay, was allergic to heroin,
lacked literary talent and my wife would have none of it. I did dress
rather formally, however

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Extending the wearability of suits into the future as everyday garments?

I understand your intention but I don't think that works.

If someone is genuinely concerned they will 'look stuffy' in a suit they are extremely unlikely to consider a suit an everyday garment now or in the future.

Stylistically, I think it's a case of hedging one's bet, of being ambiguous. "I'm 'dressed up' but... not really!"

Perhaps a better compromise might be to not just wear suits with oxfords, as some particularly prescriptive SFers tend to counsel.

Some of those informal suits shown above, for instance, in my opinion would go well with some loafers, including unlined ones.

Camilo

Reaction score
As mentioned above, it's been done (see Hollywood). Do with tshirt no tie sleek suit fabric.

steveabdn

Reaction score
And here's another argument: originally tweed or cord suits were the equivalent of today's athleisure. Sneakers didn't exist back then, so people wore other kinds of sporty, comfy shoes with those garments. How do we make the cord/tweed suit more modern? By going back to its origins and pairing it with today's equivalent footwear.

No we don't. The cord / tweed suit by your own admission was the equivalent to athleisure of its day. Shoes worn with it were the equivalent to Sneakers.

Today, wearing athleisure with Sneakers would be the equivalent to the historical context you referred to.

Using your same argument but swapping the upper and lower portions we should be wearing athleisure clothing with brogues??

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using your same argument but swapping the upper and lower portions we should be wearing athleisure clothing with brogues??

No. Wearing brogues with athleisure would make the standard option less comfortable, and that's never the direction of progress in style. Suit with sneaker, on the other hand, goes in the right direction.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. Wearing brogues with athleisure would make the standard option less comfortable, and that's never the direction of progress in style. Suit with sneaker, on the other hand, goes in the right direction.
Depends on point of view if it's less comfortable. I'd rather be in a pair of brogues than sneakers

steveabdn

Reaction score

Your argument really doesn't work. Athleisure is more comfortable than a cord or tweed suit, if your view of advancement is based on comfort then you'd forego the suit entirely and wear the Sneakers with more comfortable clothing.

If you just happen to think that Sneakers work with a suit then that's a perfectly fine argument

OldState

Reaction score
It’s horrible. When I see it all I can think of are the GQ magazines I see at my barber shop.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, it's been done (see Hollywood). Do with tshirt no tie sleek suit fabric.

Uh, yeah, if you really want to emulate the silliness featured in this article:
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/how-to-wear-a-suit-in-2018

While Hollywood celebs' looks have always been influential, the desperation to stand out, combined with what I would say is a lack of refinement and/or over-reliance on their stylists, leads them to parade around and be photographed in utterly hideous outfits.

Fame rarely = good taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads