• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit and Shirt Fit Advice Needed

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Ok, I have 2 Hickey Freeman Madison model suits that i've had for a few months now, and I just purchased 2 more. all of them a 42L. My 2 new ones I just had altered by my tailor in Hartford CT, his name is Gus Fas. When I went there I told him that I wanted to have some cuff showing on my sleeves(I read in Dressing the Man depending on your height you can have 1/2-1 inch of cuff showing)

He altered the suits and I went back to try them on. Of course there was really no cuff showing when I tried them on, but he was very adiment that the sleeve length was perfect and any shorter would throw the whole suit out of proportion. He said my shirts that i've been wearing are too short. Right now I'm a 35 sleeve but he measured me 35.5, so he said I should be wearing a size 36 sleeve. I took them home, to try them with some shirts, and he said If i'm not happy he will shorten the sleeves.

I wanted to post some pictures of myself in the shirts with one of my new suits to see what everone thinks. I want some cuff to be showing especially when I wear French Cuff shirts.

I want to know if my suit sleeves are too long or my shirt sleeves not long enough or BOTH?
Also tell me if you think my suit should be taken in a little more on the sides, it's kind of roomy.

Me in a Nordstrom 16/35 tailor-fit shirt with Barrel cuffs:
dsc03213ws6.jpg

Same shirt arms up:
dsc03216gu1.jpg

Same shirt, Jacket on:
dsc03214ge3.jpg

Same, arms up:
dsc03215qu4.jpg

Different shirt now, Nordstrom MTM 16/35 Slim fit(more than the tailored-fit) with french cuffs. Also excuse the appearance of this shirt as I did not have time to iron it yet so it is very wrinkled.
dsc03219vg3.jpg

Same shirt, Arms up:
dsc03218xq2.jpg

Same shirt and same jacket:
dsc03220ae0.jpg

Arms up:
dsc03221me8.jpg

Again my tailor is adamant that the sleeve length on the jacket is right, but as you can see there is no cuff showing.

Am I right style wise to want some cuff?
Should my jacket sleeves be shortened or should my sleeve length be increased or Both?
And should I get the sides of the jacket taken in a little more?

I really appreciate everyone's help as I am still a noob. I have been driving myself crazy with this and again I appreciated everyone's help.
tounge.gif

penguin vic

Reaction score
IMO -

Sleeves on the first shirt are fine. Second shirt - sleeves are a touch short. I'd say jacket sleeves are fine.

Other things can affect 'showing cuff' - e.g. how high the armholes on your shirt / jacket are.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'd guess that you rarely stand motionless with arms by your side. Wear the suits for a while before assessing if there's an issue with the suit sleeve length (I don't think there is).

Suit looks good by the way. I wouldn't worry too much about the waist.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First shirt okay.

Suit sleeves a bit too long (1/4-1/2" less)

2nd shirt sleeves too short (1/2-1" longer)

Siggy

Reaction score
I agree, 1st shirt ok, 2nd too short.

Suit sleeves could be shortened a little, 1/4 to 1/2 inch depending on the look once you make sure your shirt sleeve length is correct.

beny

Reaction score
looks like the right sleeve on the suit is slightly longer than the left? i think the left sleeve on the suit seems fine, both shirt sleeves are a tad too short.

crpz32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beny
looks like the right sleeve on the suit is slightly longer than the left? i think the left sleeve on the suit seems fine, both shirt sleeves are a tad too short.

it's most likely his arms that are different length. My left arm is 1cm longer than my right.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first shirt, sleeves are just about right. your FCs are too short.

If I were you, I'd measure the jacket sleeve length against the first shirt. I prefer mine showing 1/2" to 3/4" inch. Who cares what your tailor says. He's working for you. If you want to shorten the sleeves by 1/2" he should do it. Otherwise, find another tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads