1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit and shirt critique

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by danz24, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jessis

jessis Senior member

Shirt needs some work in the arm hole region and sleeve may need to be a little longer. Agree the collar choice could have been different.

Jacket waist is way off. Upper leg in the pants are too generous...

2. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Jacket looks too tight and short.

Pants look too baggy and there is something funky going on with them, although I can't quite place what it is. It looks like the thighs are 2x as wide as the hem.

Don't shoot me for this comment, but I'm not sure if a slim fit suit is the best idea for you. From your measurements: 5'4" 140 lbs, 36.5 chest - 34.5 waist. I don't want to be discouraging but slim fit suits usually look best on those with athletic drops. With a 36.5 chest - 34.5 waist, a slim fitting suit accentuates what you don't want it to call attention to.

3. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

My guess is TaT

I say Indochino

4. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

The jacket looks like it is too tight and not long enuogh. It looks strange with so much waist suppression. The shirt looks too big in my opinion for a slim fit. It needs to fit better in the waist area. Some darts would help with the extra material in the back area.

5. Lowndes

Lowndes Senior member

I say Indochino

Oh, yeah I forgot about them. So who made the suit?

6. danz24

danz24 Well-Known Member

Jacket looks too tight and short.

Pants look too baggy and there is something funky going on with them, although I can't quite place what it is. It looks like the thighs are 2x as wide as the hem.

Don't shoot me for this comment, but I'm not sure if a slim fit suit is the best idea for you. From your measurements: 5'4" 140 lbs, 36.5 chest - 34.5 waist. I don't want to be discouraging but slim fit suits usually look best on those with athletic drops. With a 36.5 chest - 34.5 waist, a slim fitting suit accentuates what you don't want it to call attention to.

The suit was from indochno. Didn't want to mention this at the outset since people might start blaming the company right away.

One important question I want to ask is, when I measure myself, what do I wear? Do I measure myself in just underwear? with an undershirt? undershirt and longsleeve? etc.. i realize the clothing I wear can affect measurement by as much as an inch.

I just measured my chest and waist w/o a shirt leaving room for 1 finger. This should be as accurate as possible to my actual body measurements. I am a 39.25in chest and 32in waist. Chest was a bit hard because of my lats.

When I measured originally we really tightened up the tape measure to hug my chest, and -1in as suggested by madetomeasureny. This could be the reason for the tight chest fit. The pants waist for the suit is too big for me, I can fit my fist in there! Probably why it looks off.

7. danz24

danz24 Well-Known Member

The jacket looks like it is too tight and not long enuogh. It looks strange with so much waist suppression. The shirt looks too big in my opinion for a slim fit. It needs to fit better in the waist area. Some darts would help with the extra material in the back area.

What do you mean by this?

8. sportin_life

For darts, the poster was referring to your dress shirt.

Tailors can place darts, which are basically permanent creases on the bottom part of the back of your dress shirt. This will prevent the material from bunching up in the back. It is very common in female clothing but not that common in men's shirts.

Here is an example of a women's shirt darted front and back for the close fit:
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

9. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Senior member

For darts, the poster was referring to your dress shirt.

Tailors can place darts, which are basically permanent creases on the bottom part of the back of your dress shirt. This will prevent the material from bunching up in the back. It is very common in female clothing but not that common in men's shirts.

Here is an example of a women's shirt darted front and back for the close fit:
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

It is common in men's shirts which are intended to fit a properly shaped man. Brands aimed at the general business men don't benefit much from selling a shirt shaped how a body should be shaped.

10. sportin_life

I wish more brands would sell OTR shirts darted... It's a pain to bring them to the tailor hoping it will come out okay.

11. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

It is common in men's shirts which are intended to fit a properly shaped man. Brands aimed at the general business men don't benefit much from selling a shirt shaped how a body should be shaped.

I'm not going to ask what a "properly shaped man" is. If you start on Aryan skull shape, though, I'm calling the moderators.

That should be about the right length for someone your height, maybe 0.5" shorter than the usual, but certainly not as short as it looks. Do you have a tape-measure? Can you measure the actual length of the jacket from the base of the collar to the hem? I can't see how that jacket can possibly be 27.5" long unless you're much taller than you say you are.

You can't reliably predict jacket height just given overall height. People have different proportions.

12. danz24

danz24 Well-Known Member

Bump for remade suit.

13. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Bump for remade suit.
    This threak is very misleading now. I think you must have replaced the original photos in the OP, so the first 3 pages of comments are meaningless. I'd suggest you re-post the originals at the beginning of the thread, or eliminate them entirely, and put the re-made suit photos down here on page 3. That said, the re-made suit is atrocious. I'll let brighter lights than me say more, but for starters, the shoulders are freaking massive and the armholes gigantic. It's as though someone tried to tailor down a suit 2 sizes too big for you into something you could wear. And the skirt has no shape or life, it looks like you're wearing a tube sock.

14. JT82

JT82 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Perfection

15. Vogizzle

Vogizzle Well-Known Member

It looks off in every way

16. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Senior member

This threak is very misleading now. I think you must have replaced the original photos in the OP, so the first 3 pages of comments are meaningless.

I think he makes that pretty clear.

17. bmf895

bmf895 Senior member

Jacket The shoulders and chest are too wide. Shoulder pads extend past your shoulder bone. Fabric is bunching up under your arms due to the garment being too wide in the chest. Also, higher armscyes will give you more range of motion with your arms. Sleeves look a little baggy; however, this is minor. Remove the basting thread from the vents to get rid of the tube sock effect. (I am assuming you left them on because you may return the garment, which you should.) Pants The pants are pulling in the seat and upper thigh. Taking out the seat will probably alleviate this. You may also need less taper in the upper thigh.

18. Sartrolliast

Sartrolliast Well-Known Member

What's the deal with this? Is it made to measure from mail-order? Whatever it is, you're not being served well. You need to have a professional help you select the suit, in real life. You need to go to a store.