• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit and schoolbag

hasan_researc

Reaction score
Does it look odd if you wear a schoolbag with a suit and go to work?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by 'schoolbag'? A back-pack shouldn't be worn with a suit, but a messenger-bag would be fine.

hasan_researc

Reaction score
That's the thing. I go to school everyday and I see all these people wearing suits with school bags. Have they got no money?

donCarlos

Reaction score
I would never put anything over shoulders of a suit or a sports coat. I live in fear (maybe irrational) that it will ruin the padding.

hasan_researc

Reaction score
That's the thing. I go to school everyday and I see all these people wearing suits with school bags. Have they got no money?

bck

Reaction score
I see this ALL the time in my college campus. My guess is that they don't know any better, or they simply don't mind ruining their sh*t Macy's suits.

johnkav

Reaction score
When I read the thread title I thought this was going to be some sort of joke....

I wouldn't wear a backpack with a suit and I doubt most people here would, but hey, we're not most people on the grand scale of things.....

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hasan_researc

What do you mean by 'school'? If they're like 15 years old and the suit is their school uniform then they can probably get away with it. Anyone over the age of 18 though, not so much.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, what is a schoolbag?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it an English School Satchel or a bookbag? Either way I see no issue with neither as long as the piece looks appropriate and does not devalue the rest of your outfit. There are some great made bookbags that wouldn't look out of place on the back of a suit in a less conservative environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads