• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit and Jacket Fit?

yitianjian

Reaction score
Hey Styleforum,

Been a lurker for a while but looking for recommendations and advice on fit. Gradually dipping my toes into slightly more formal looks away from streetwear and shirt & slacks business casual. I'm not too familiar with suiting advice and I find there to be a lot of conflicting things on the internet.

As a bit of background, I'm mid 20's, work in tech, and really prefer to have a more modern/casual look, especially due to my social and work circles. I don't think I could pull off the traditional menswear as well as an older gentleman, and I think I would prefer to keep a more edgy/fashion look so that I don't exclude both engineers - who can be a bit stereotypical - as well as finance/consulting folks.

Please ignore the quarantine hair ?

I have this jacket from SuitSupply:
IMG_4886.jpeg

IMG_4884.jpeg

This I can still return (and also have in a beige color). I feel like the length is too long for a more casual sportcoat/blazer - if it was ~1" shorter I'd think its perfect. I'd probably also want to take in the waist a bit, I imagine.

This jacket from Theory:
IMG_4883 2.jpeg

IMG_4884.jpeg

This was tailored and closer to my ideal look - especially if it were to be dressed down (say with chinos or jeans + sneakers). Would this be judged in more traditional environments?

And this suit from Spier & Mackay:

IMG_4897.jpeg

IMG_4896.jpeg

This has also been tailored. I feel the shoulder is slightly off, and in general a bit fuller/wider than I'd prefer.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

I'm trying to pick up a couple more suits (grey, charcoal) and a couple more jackets (traditional navy blazer, stone/beige/grey) to round out my wardrobe.

Sorry for the poor photo lighting as well, I really wanted to try the SuSu jackets as they came in but it was close to nighttime.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4894.jpeg
    IMG_4894.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 11

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Susu and Theory jackets are wayyyyyyy too short. Even if you prefer casual sport coats, it should still cover your butt.

The trousers you are wearing have low rise. Paired with the high buttoning stances, even with lower buttoning stance of the Spier and Mackay, your torso is elongated and it doesn't look good. The Theory jacket button is at your solar plexus?

Would be helpful to know the sizes of the garments you are wearing.

Also, if you aren't too keen on traditional classic menswear, you should try jackets like The Anthology Lazyman jacket. Wear that with chinos or trousers and you'll still look well dressed. Pictures taken from The Anthology.
1587937802778.png
1587937832598.png

yitianjian

Reaction score
As I understand it, mid rise is around ~1in below the belly button which is what I'm wearing? High rise would be around belly button or above/close to natural waist?

Even the SuSu jacket is too short? This was the other one that had definitely felt too long:
IMG_4876.jpeg

Jacket button is around solar plexus yes, I hadn't realized. Ideally around waist/belly button, correct?

I need to find some high waisted pants then to try. It seems that it helps remove the triangle of the shirt below the jacket, but wouldn't an overly long jacket still seem long?

The SuSu jackets are 40R Havanas, the S&M a 42 Contemporary, and the Theory one a 42R.

And thanks for the suggestion! I was planning to travel to Hong Kong this year too, will definitely give them a shot then. It's a bit hard to test a lot of stuff in Canada especially with these current times. The Lazyman looks really nice in pictures, I'm just worried that a more traditional finance meeting won't take it too well hence I'd probably want to see it in person.

Thanks again!

compuccesory

Reaction score
The SM Jacket is closest to where you should be in terms of length. Others are too short in all respects including buttoning point, rest of it doesn't look too bad, don't take in anything. Pants are also hemmed about 1" too short.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most finance guys can't even tell the difference between a derby and an Oxford. So I doubt they will care about the lazyman jacket vs traditional sport coat.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
" I don't think I could pull off the traditional menswear as well as an older gentleman, and I think I would prefer to keep a more edgy/fashion look so that I don't exclude both engineers - who can be a bit stereotypical - as well as finance/consulting folks."

What are you excluding them from?
BTW, the only jacket that looks remotely decent is the one from Spier and Mackay.
The others look faddish and cheap.
From the photos you wear clothes well, but your choices need improvement.

yitianjian

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments then - will try to lean a bit more traditional.

There's a bit of stereotype especially in software engineering communities that people who dress up don't have technical skills or don't fit in. It's hard to be able to wear a sportcoat in a very tech-bro startup, but sometimes you need it to meet with clients/investors/etc. right after.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads