• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Alterations

ceverett

Reaction score
I would like to put together a nice formal outfit, much nicer than the polyester rental stuff. I can't afford to spend more than $500 or so, though.

I am wondering what alterations can be made on a suit easily, and what takes a miracle worker.

Which dimensions must fit perfectly? For instance, I have somewhat wider shoulders than most--can they be widened or something done that they fit nicely?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ceverett

Reaction score
bump ... hey, I know I don't know much, but I'm wanting to learn ...

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If you have some time, have your measurements taken and look on eBay for a good suit as close to your measurements as possible. This will make much less work for the tailor and you'll have a good quality suit. Fabric quality is very important.

This doesn't really answer your question. I'll let someone with more knowledge than me take care of that one.

modmica

Reaction score
I also am not the most knowledgeable, but I think the two that are most difficult to fix are shoulder width, sleeve pitch, and overall coat length. In addition, don't expect the overall shape of the jacket to be changed. For example, you shouldn't expect a sack suit to be altered into a fitted Italian cut.

The easy stuff is sleeve length (provided the coat has non-working sleeve buttons), getting the collar to sit well around the neck, getting the upper back to lie flat (e.g., fixing some problems with shoulder slope), and tweaking the waist suppression/body taper.

Costs vary widely. I'm currently having a tailor (that I think is a good but not cheap tailor) narrow the shoulders on a coat for $150 and alter a suit for $75. The suit alterations are minor. Pants just need to be cuffed, nothing done to the waist. And jacket just needs the upper back tightened up, nothing to the sleeves. This is in LA. Another suit I just had altered with more work required (above work plus pants waist and seat and more work on getting the back and collar to lay well) was about $160. I have another tailor I use for altering cheaper suits or older suits that will do everything for about half the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads