• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Alterations

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the good fortune of finding an Oxxford suit in impeccable condition and in my size this weekend at a local thrift store for $15. The only real issue with fit is that the sleeves are about an inch too short. This may seem basic, but how do I tell whether there is enough material to lengthen the sleeves a bit? I know I could ask my tailor, but I wanted to be forwarned with a bit of knowledge before I visit him. If the sleeves can't be lengthened, I'm only out $15, so I figured it was worth taking the chance.

All replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Run your finger into the sleeve and feel under the lining for how much material is there. You should be able to feel where the doubled over fabric ends. That's how much material you have to work with.

FWIW, I had the sleeves of an overcoat let out and my alterations tailor sewed in a complementary fabric, all of which is inside the sleeve. In fact, if you can find some fabric with a nudie print you can pass the suit off as a Paul Smith...

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Alan. Most helpful.

As for your Paul Smith suggestion, I'll take it under advisement.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads